Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Making & selling note cards

Does anyone make their own photo note cards to sell? There are a few photogs in my area that do this, and I'm thinking of starting myself. I have been told several times that I should do it, so I think I'm going to give it a shot. I have a couple of options, but I'm not sure what route to take. I can buy folding card stock like this attach my photos to the front and be done with it.

http://www.desktopsupplies.com/newgreetcar51.html

Or I can buy card stock like this:

http://www.photographersedge.com

The second option looks a lot nicer to me, and would be easier to make the cards, but the cost would be higher.

I'm just wondering if anyone else does this sort of thing, and if so, how do you do it?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Making & selling note cards

try these..

www.whcc.com

www.mpix.com

look at the printed press options. I don't sell notecards, but offer Christmas cards, baby announcements, that type of thing. I know whcc is gorgeous, assuming mpix is similar. You design all four sides (2 inside, 2 out) so you can have your logo or whatever on the back.

Much nicer than photographer edge, imo.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thanks for the links Adina. I use mpix a lot, but I have never ordered their cards. I have heard good things about whcc too, but have never used them. I will check them out!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

You can get a sample pack, if you send one image they print it on each type of paper they offer. I love the watercolor and linen, but the uv coated standard glossy is nice too.

Good luck!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I will deffinetly give that a try!! The wife and I went to an art fair this weekend, and she bought a couple of note cards from photographers. I haven't even opened them yet, but I'm curiouse to see how they did them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Actually, I was hoping they printed postcards. Neither one seems to.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I may too new at this and it may be a question that has been covered to death but I was considering making note cards from photographs I took of area golf courses. The golf courses are open to the public but do i need to get a release from the courses to use the photos I took?

Quote Originally Posted by Alsnowman
    I may too new at this and it may be a question that has been covered to death but I was considering making note cards from photographs I took of area golf courses. The golf courses are open to the public but do i need to get a release from the courses to use the photos I took?
    My understanding is that if it's public golf course, you don't need permission. If it's a private course, you do.
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota scroller
    Actually, I was hoping they printed postcards. Neither one seems to.

www.mpix.com prints postcards. I have never ordered them, but have some friends who have and they were happy with them. I got my business cards through them, and I was very pleased with what I got. Every once in a while they have a half price sale on some of their press products too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

My mistake. I guess I just didn't scroll down far enough. However, at that price, you'd never be able to resell them to a retail outlet or state park.

Thanks for bringing my attention to it.
    Mike

My friends ordered theirs for a local county park when they were 1/2 price so they weren't too bad.

www.photographersedge.com sells do it yourself post cards for $8.95 per pack of 25. They are basically self adhesive backs that you stick to your 4x6 photos. It comes out to about 36 cents each, plus the cost of the prints, and your time to put them together. If you order 5 or more packs you save $1 per pack. I have never used them so I can't comment on their quality. I have seen other products by this company, and they seem very nice tho.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information