Old Yearbook Photos

The public high school that I attended in the early 1980s, did not place a copyright notice in any of their yearbooks. However, some of the local schools now follow the practice of placing an "All-Rights Reserved" notice from the publisher. Would the images in these vintage yearbooks be considered "public domain," especially after 25 years? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Ron
    Yours truly,

Ron

"Enjoy and explore our nation's U.S. Highway system. You'll find an endless supply of great photo opportunities awaiting you." :thumbsup:

KmH

Re: Old Yearbook Photos

Quote Originally Posted by USRoute12
    The public high school that I attended in the early 1980s, did not place a copyright notice in any of their yearbooks. However, some of the local schools now follow the practice of placing an "All-Rights Reserved" notice from the publisher. Would the images in these vintage yearbooks be considered "public domain," especially after 25 years? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Ron
    Sorry, but No.

Copyright is granted to the author (photographer) for the photographers life plus 70 years.
    Canada it's life of the author plus 50 years.

All rights reserved is actually language to protect certain rights outside the United States.
    In the US reservation of all rights is assumed.

By the way....I did what your siggy suggests, but many years ago.

I took a job as a coast-to-coast, and over-the-road truck driver. 1.2 millon miles worth (8 years). Exposed several miles worth of film.
    Last edited by KmH; 06-18-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Keith

Keith Harrod | Image Works
    Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western-Digital

Thread Information