How does one become a product photographer?

The question is simple. How does one become a product photographer?

Re: How does one become a product photographer?

I don't know if it's *that* simple. There are sort of two parts to the question.

1) How do you learn to take good product photos?

2) How do you get the work?

The first part is the easy one - you get good with the lights and learn to make products look good.

Getting the work is the hard part. At least it is for me. Some photographers are better at getting the work than taking the pictures. Having connections helps for getting work. Because of my associating with the bike industry I get a reasonable amount of bike-related product photography without having to really hustle. Consumer electronics (cameras, cell phones, etc) is tougher. I'm good at that photography because taking pictures of camera gear is part of my job here on the site. I get lots of practice. However, big consumer electronics companies are tougher to get through to and there's a lot more competition because the potential for big money is there.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks a lot!
    I am sure it is not easy to answer but how much is the general price range for product photography? Just a general idea...

Quote Originally Posted by wedding photographer
    Thanks a lot!
    I am sure it is not easy to answer but how much is the general price range for product photography? Just a general idea...
    depends on the product, depends on the use. A product guy I know got $24,000.00 to shoot a $2,000,000.00 emerald for a worldwide advertising campaign. He's also shot crap from the local pawn shop to put on ebay for $10.00 per item. Usage rights are a bit daunting at first, but you get the hang of it with some practice. Product shots often require bids, with line items for everything involved in the shoot when you're trying to seriously make money at it. Like fashion, it's more about who you know and how you market than anything else, but you still have to be really good with lights, reflectors, fill cards, subtraction cards, scrims, cutters, and all the other "studio" stuff.

A more general answer, which should not be considered "carved in stone" is that if you're pretty good with the lights, and can work efficiently, you can *probably* make anywhere from $300-$1000 each day you shoot. Don't figure on shooting every day though, if you don't know someone who's feeding you work, you'll probably be real lucky to land 1 or 2 gigs a month for the first year, until you build your reputation and client base. The guy mentioned above has been at it in Miami for 19 years, and he's not getting nearly as much work as he did a few years back, just because of the economy.

Thread Information