GB1

Interesting article on Portfolios

Interesting article I found in an old issue of now defunct (?) Photographic magazine. Hope it's alright to post its scan here.. Quite interesting.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interesting article on Portfolios-photoportfolioarticle1_2004.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Interesting article on Portfolios

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Interesting article I found in an old issue of now defunct (?) Photographic magazine. Hope it's alright to post its scan here.. Quite interesting.....
    No problem. You said the piece was interesting, which means you were giving your opinion on it, which is basically the same as an extremely short review, and if you're reviewing it, that means your reproducing the article here is fair use!

I agree with the writer, although not completely. My experience has been that publications are basically looking for two things: solidly creative work (the "edginess or style depends on the publication") and someone who is professional enough to produce what is asked and meet deadlines on a consistent basis.

It's a balance, and a shooter who is much stronger at one can usually get a little leeway with the other.

But it is true that if you are hoping to replace an existing photographer at a publication, your book usually needs to be stronger than the work they are already doing. Otherwise what would be the point of a magazine making a change?

There is so much more to getting jobs than the actual photos in your portfolio. I think this may come as a shock to professional hopefuls. Because handling and photographing creative assignments involves your people skills as much as anything, you also have to get this across to potential publications, and sell yourself and your "street" skills along with your images...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information