Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Licensing question

Another "what to charge" thread. The company I work for is considering licensing one of my images to print on our gift cards. I don't know the # of cards printed but I would guess it would be several thousand. I have licensed a few photos for catalog covers or to magazines in the past but they have always had a set price for what they pay for images based on the size and placement of the photos. I'm not sure if they do the same for printing gift cards. Any idea what a reasonable fee for something like this would be?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Licensing question

That is kind of a tough one Mike did you feel them out and ask what kind of budget they allocated for licensing? I have a gut feeling that it may not be a large budget but hey you never know. Without knowing the details and if I had to guesstimate along the lines of 250-1K.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Licensing question

Yeah, these kinds of questions are always tough. I do have someone checking into a few things for me to see just how many they plan on printing and to see if they have a standard fee for this type of thing. I have licensed a couple photos to this company in the past for catalog covers and their standard rate seemed pretty fair.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information