• 01-10-2012, 05:55 AM
    wedding photographer
    How do you process payments via credit cards???
    I have tried to avoid accepting credit cards in the past because of the incurred cost. It looks like that I need to change this because more and more brides and grooms want to pay via credit card.

My question: Do you accept credit cards? If yes, which company do you use? Which type of service/provider should I avoid? Which is the most cost effective provider? What is the easiest way to start this?

Thanks for all you help!
  • 01-15-2012, 04:51 AM
    jetrim
    Re: How do you process payments via credit cards???
    Something I'm seriously considering is a small card reader offered by 'square up'. It's available at Target for $9.99 and plugs into your Android/iPhone. You link it to your bank account, no merchant servIces agreement required. Flat rate on Visa, MC, AmEx. (2.75%)
  • 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM
    mjs1973
    I have been trying to come up with a good solution for this as well. I don't have a store front, and my art fairs have been limited to a 1 - 3 per year. So far, an app like Square Up has been about the best option I have come up with so far, with one small problem. I don't have a smart phone, and I don't want the extra cost of having an expensive phone plan. I know I have lost sales because I didn't have the ability to accept credit cards but I don't think those sales would offset the yearly fees that a smart phone would cost. I'm looking into the idea of getting a prepaid Android phone this spring which should be cheaper than a plan, but only time will tell.

I have a friend who has a small, battery powered CC machine that she uses at art fairs that also connects through a cellular signal. I haven't really looked into how much they cost to get started or what the fees are but that is another option.
  • 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
    ksbryan0
    I don't recall the cost, but PayPal could be used for these purchases. It would be tougher to do at an art fair for people wanting to purchase something immediately (actually, if the buyer had a smart phone, he could pay via PayPal on the spot, but you would need to have email access to verify the payment), but you could give them an invoice and let them pay for it via PayPal, then mail the photos after you have confirmation of payment.
  • 02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
    BarrieB
    I use PayPal for easy and fast transactions, it works for me and my clients. And in the that I am able to be assured that the pay is right and legit.
  • 04-04-2012, 07:58 AM
    chuckdee
    I use Square and received it for free from Square. They take 2.75% for every charge. Never had an issue and clients think it's the coolest thing. They actually get a kick out of signing their name on my phone..Happy clients are the best ones.
  • 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
    ciddog91
    I use square. It was free and I use it on my droid phone. I also own a tactical training company and use it for it as well. I love it. Wish the cost was a little lower, but 2.75% is not to terrible. And as Chuck said, customers love signing it.
  • 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM
    JETA
    I use square too. Can't say enough about it. Probably the best part is being able to take payment over the phone. I unfortunately had to deal with more NSFs than normal this year and it's a great way to collect. Right over the phone.
  • 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
    chuckdee
    Paypal for online and Square/PayPal card swippers in person.

• 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
    TomHarmon
    Same as chuckdee. Square is great.