Commercial Use on facebook

What are other photographers' policies for commercial use on facebook (beyond this)?

I shot a few photos with one mountain biker last year and sent the shots to the bike company he rides for recently. They said they only buy shots from their photographers, but asked if they could put them on the FB page with credit. It doesn't seem fair for them to upload them to the page's gallery for nothing. I could post one on the page's wall (watermarked of course) with a link to my site and/or gallery of the other shots. That way, it's more promotion, less use, in a way as it's posted by me, rather than the company.

What do you think?

Re: Commercial Use on facebook

Yeah, that sounds kinda weak to me. They could be acting in good faith, though. I don't know. People just don't value photos like they used to. I'd say your idea of posting one or two yourself, with links, is a better way to do it. I would definitely watermark them and not upload them very big, either. You could also tell them that if they pay to use them for print or something, you'll also throw in the Web use as an added value.

Can you tell me which mountain bike company you're talking about? Is it a really big one or a small one. The reason I ask is if it's a big one, their story holds more water. But if it's a little tiny company, I would probably guess they're just being cheap and trying to BS you into giving up some photos.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 10-19-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Is anyone licensing photos for facebook? Some photographers I've talked to said they would treat it like an image on a website and quote it that way, but in my experience companies won't ever see the same $ value in a photo on their facebook page vs their website. Often times, a photo on facebook may have more actual value since it may be getting more views.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBranch View Post
    Is anyone licensing photos for facebook? Some photographers I've talked to said they would treat it like an image on a website and quote it that way, but in my experience companies won't ever see the same $ value in a photo on their facebook page vs their website. Often times, a photo on facebook may have more actual value since it may be getting more views.
    I would license it the same way as a Web site. I don't care what the company thinks. On the other hand, depending on the photo and the company, I'd be inclined to let them use it with my logo as long as they tag my page on the photo. But ultimately, I gots to get paid!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information