Question Help on going pro

I posted this in the viewfinder forum, but maybe this is a better place for it? Any suggestions or at least a point in the right direction would be great!

"...So, I know some of you out there have had your work published and I needed the insight of the pros. A close friend of mine has a band that is putting out another album. He wants ME to take some pictures for it, the cover (potentially if it turns out the way they want), for promotions, etc. I was just wanting to take some pictures for them as more practice for me, but he is really serious! While I'm honored and excited, I'm curious since he mentioned payment, royalties, etc. I take pictures right now for fun and really had no desire to ever try to be a paid professional so I've never really looked into mainstream photography. I feel like this is skipping doing a friend's senior portraits and going straight into the real thing!

My friend said he is talking to his manager tomorrow, but I'm still sort of taken aback. I've known these guys for over 10 years, but I'd still like to be prepared if his agency decides to call me. Any suggestions on doing some research? Obviously I understand the concept of copyright and my name stamped on their photos, but what else is out there? As always, your feedback is graciously appreciated!!"

yeah...eek

Nat
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

Re: Help on going pro

Hi - I can't offer much advice on this but did move it to the Business forum. Hopefully you'll get some help here. Good luck on the project!

Thanks! I was wondering if there was a better place! Happy Turkey Day!
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

If you're submitting for a cover, even though I'm as much amateur as anyone here.. make sure you have separate copies of the exact photos you submit that aren't watermarked with your name etc.. since an album cover isn't going to have your watermark on it, rather your by-line will probably be on the inside of the first page if the album/cd comes with such the standard couple page book..I'm not sure exactly what a technical term for the book inside the cd cover is ;)

Then again if you have that kind of trust of the long friendship you may not need watermarks at all on what you're giving them..

By the way.. it's a week since you posted.. any news?
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

When dealing with friends and business it's easy to say you don't need a contact. However, nothing will wreck a friendship faster than in 6 months both of you having different memories as to what was agreed to.

Kentucky Wildlife

I've been a professional (poverty stricken) photographer for over 30 years. I'm just speculating here, but I would imagine your friend has seen some of your images and liked them, so he wants to give you a unique opportunity. At the same time, I'm pretty sure he knows that he can get you to do the cover for a fraction of what an ad agency would cost.
    If he is talking about "royalities" at all, there is bound to be a contract.
    By all means, jump at this windfall opportunity. But approach it with all the creative juices you can muster. Try to figure out a scene that captures the essence of the group and the tone of the album.
    And, if you decide not to do it, please have then contact me. lol

Thread Information