• 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
    caleb
    Finding a needle in a large haystack
    I have a photo quite suitable for advertising but there is a person that would be 99% sure to recognize themselves. I was contacted regarding this photo although the above problem ruins the opportunity. I took the photo well over a year ago and the last thing I thought of was obtaining a model release. Would it be a failed cause to try posting this image somewhere (ie craigslist) asking the model or someone who knows him to contact me? Could there be a better way? Has anyone tried this before?
  • 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
    drg
    Re: Finding a needle in a large haystack
    If you were contacted by a company who either a product or service would be served by the use of the photograph, they most likely deal with clearances regularly. If they want a photo badly enough, such as a candid with a known celebrity, they will pay accordingly.

If the inclusion of an individual, again such as a celebrity, is a significant problem try contacting them via an agent. There are listings and sources ranging from Variety to web links for particular industries including www.imdb.com (pro/paid version) to access these agents. An alternative might be to consider using various social networking sights (you know which ones I mean I am sure) to see if you can connect with a mutual 'friend'.

One of the responsibilities of 'selling' work is either doing the media/usage/copyright clearance or having access to an agency that will do the diligence 'thing'.

Could the photograph be reshot, even if staged, as it is potentially for a client who could possibly be interested enough to pay the the freight of the added work?
  • 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM
    caleb
    Re: Finding a needle in a large haystack
    Could be reshot, yes. I didn't think of that! I may try the social networking sites though. Thank you for your response