Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

A few general questions...

When walking around a reception getting group shots and candids, do you just use bounce cards, bounce domes etc or just go straight on?

When using flash, what mode do you shoot in? I'm just getting started using flash and I'm finding it really difficult to find a setting that works with flash other than making my best guesses in Manual. I mean, we cant run up there with a light meter and test out every shot.

For Canon shooters; What is your favorite lens for shooting events like weddings, bar mitzvah's, etc. Just the lens that seems to be the best for all around applications, indoors.

Most important. Computer hardwar, do you have a laptop that you bring to every gig or a tablet? Do you prefer one brand or another? Apple or PC?

Lastly, editing software... I currently have the latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop, do you prefer Aperture or Lightroom?

Thank you so much in advance for any info you can give me on any of these topics.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: A few general questions...

I usually bounce flash at receptions. Direct flash looks bad.
    I do everything in manual so I can control the exposure and get a constant exposure everytime.
    Im not a Canon shooter, but 35 or 50mm is a good all around lens.
    I don't bring any computers to the wedding, but some people bring laptops to start backing up their cards.
    Lightroom is what I use and seems the most popular, but whatever you are comfortable with.

Thread Information