• 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
    zerodog
    Re: fake press pass legalities
    Some event promoters get really really pissed if you get in without consent to do photography. They try to control their media and what they put out to the public. Some "Dude" just shows up and plasters crap all over the internet can get attention. I was at an event that some "Dude" was at. The promoter ended up threatening to sue him. Nothing came of it besides the guy having to pull some images off the internet. But not before I am sure he sold a few images.

On the flip side if "you" are an event photographer for "money" and some "Dude" shows up when they are not supposed to be there you get really pissed. Because you are there for money. Especially if you are the exclusive photographer. And if you are not selling shots because the dude is giving them away it takes money right out of your pocket.
  • 02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
    jetrim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodog
    On the flip side if "you" are an event photographer for "money" and some "Dude" shows up when they are not supposed to be there you get really pissed. Because you are there for money. Especially if you are the exclusive photographer. And if you are not selling shots because the dude is giving them away it takes money right out of your pocket.

Especially love it when I show up several hours early to select my spot, set up all my gear and *dude* walks in 45 minutes late trying to set up IN FRONT OF the press pit because there aren't any good spots left :mad5: That's when fashion photography can become a contact sport :lol:

Seriously, press passes are almost always issued on a "per event" basis. A fake press pass won't get you in to most venues anyway. Funny thing is, pretty much all you have to do is ask and they'll issue one unless it's a really high profile event. (For example, Mercedes Benz Swim Week in South Beach is invitation only). The trick to it is knowing who to ask. Usually it's the PR firm promoting the event that doles out the press passes, tell them your a freelance photographer shooting on spec and you'll usually get added to the list with no further questions. At the bigger events, they WILL require that your state issued valid ID matches the name they have on the list, so unless you have a fake DL to match your fake press pass, you ain't getting in anyway...
  • 02-26-2011, 07:39 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrim
    Especially love it when I show up several hours early to select my spot, set up all my gear and *dude* walks in 45 minutes late trying to set up IN FRONT OF the press pit because there aren't any good spots left.

I have found the opposite - getting there early (even paying for the area), setting up and then a 'pro' with a pass issued to some magazine comes after it has started and takes over. It goes both ways. - Terry
  • 03-03-2011, 12:33 AM
    Username2343
    Just get a job at gannett, they issue laminated photo IDs to most employees.
  • 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
    megan
    Especially love it when I show up several hours early to select my spot, set up all my gear and *dude* walks in 45 minutes late trying to set up IN FRONT OF the press pit because there aren't any good spots left

Happens to me *all the time* at auto show press events. Fortunately, some of the OEM's (Toyota and Hyundai, you are especially good at this, THANK YOU!) won't let the late-arriving photographers do that to the ones that got their early enough for front row.
  • 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
    megan
    Hm. See... that's what *cleavage* is for! ;)
  • 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
    MNRyan
    I live in a small town in SW MN and I'm in talks with our local news radio about getting a press pass. I know that here in MN press passes are registered with the state, but the system doesn't allow for easy checking I think its just for more extreme legal situations. I do like the idea of making a business title for yourself and and making one that way and I don't think it would break any laws in that regard. I don't think I'd call it a press pass, but I wouldn't tell anyone it wasn't either. Just let them assume it's legit and from there it's their problem. LOL
  • 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM
    Chaos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wiley snap View Post
    is possessing a fake press pass illegal?

if it has the name of a real newspaper/agency?

if the name on the pass isn't yours?

if you use the pass to gain entry to an event?

my friend works for the AP, and i scanned his press pass (with his permission). i took out all identifying info, put in a fake name, and printed it up nicely. then i glued on a passport photo from walgreens, laminated it, and attached a neck lanyard. i even "aged" it a little so it looks like i've had it for a while.

all in all, it looks awesome...reeeally awesome!

i've used it a couple of times when photographing in situations where people have harrassed me in the past. you know the "you know you're not allowed to be photographing here" crowd....the results have been great so far. one lady came up to me, all ready to get sanctimonious, looked closely at the pass for 5 seconds, and said "oh i wasn't sure if you were with the press". i just gave a weary smile. didn't even have to (verbally) lie! :)

combined with a vest, and the right attitude, i think this pass could definitely get me into some cool shooting situations.

i'm considering making another with my real name, since my biggest concern is the legality of using a false name. any help??

thanks,

wiley snap

p.s. unrelated, but i thought amusing....when i searched for "fake pass" in this forum, before writing this post, here was the result:

Your Search for fake pass returned no records.

However, we did find 0 matches for: cake pans

p.p.s. not to be ungrateful, but i'm not looking for any moral guidance on whether or not i SHOULD do this. Please limit responses to the legal issues.

"if it has the name of a real newspaper/agency?" = fraud and also forgery (not in the commonly known sense but in many states a fake I.D. fits their forgery statutes.

"if the name on the pass isn't yours?" Impersonation if it is the name of a real person plus forgery as discussed above.

"if you use the pass to gain entry to an event?" = Add the responses to the two questions above together..This is the part that will cement the conduct as criminal activity as some statutes may requite the use or attempted use.

Did you really have to ask if fake I.D.s are illegal? Are you that naive?
  • 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
    Quadracer041
    Where can someone obtain legal press credentials? Are there certain organizations that issue them?
  • 08-28-2011, 11:57 PM
    Chris350
    snippage.. removal
  • 08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
    Chris350
    Obtaining media credentials
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadracer041 View Post
    Where can someone obtain legal press credentials? Are there certain organizations that issue them?

Media Credentials are issued on a by the event basis as I think was already mentioned. What you want is a card indicating that you are a part of the professional media. They come from various sources, AP, UPI, Rueters, ABC, Getty, you get the picture. Mostly they come from individual publications. The outlet then handles gaining your access to the events they want covered. So you carry an ID stating you work for media outlet PDQ, and PDQ sets up your venue access with the events media liaison.

I work sport, so I am a member of the National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association in the US. I also carry an AIPS (International sports media organization) card. NSSA is somewhat informal, while AIPS is more structured. Even with those accreditations I still frequently need a letter of assignment from one of my editors to obtain event credentials.

If you obtain event creds be aware that you are frequently going to be restricted from using the images anywhere outside editorial content. You will not be allowed to sell images made on private property when using credentials issued by an organizing body without the consent of the organizer. US Pro sports franchises and motorsports bodies are notoriously restrictive of this because of internal control over merchandizing and the profits that it generates.
    Even with my accreditation, I cannot freelance professional motorsport, because the governing body doesn't allow freelancers. I would have to have be on assignment from a newspaper or recognized publication that covers motorsport.

For example, although I am internationally accredited, in order to work the national cycling trade show Interbike, I had to show bylined content on the website I regularly shoot for. Failing that, they wanted a scan of my business card, and a letter of assignment from the editor of the publication I would be representing and one other item that escapes me.

There is more to it than simply being a member of the media.

Lastly going back to the original post, if an event organizer holding his event on private property or in a controlled public space found someone using a fake or forged media ID they could theoretically sue the bearer for theft of services, trespass and possibly copyright infringement I suspect. I suspect the misrepresented outlet would pursue some form of action as well.
  • 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
    PWhite214
    Short and sweet, I think it is wrong.

Phil
  • 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
    monkey44
    You say: Legal issues only?? First, it's fraud, no doubt about it.

Beyond that, if you feel this is ethical, I'd never want to know you regardless of the legal issue.

But the reality is, make your own press pass, and then ask a legitimate individual for the right to pass onto the property and gain access. If you get it ( and you probably will if you're up front -- usually, they only deny crooks and deceitful fakes) then use it and enjoy the effort.
  • 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
    jonny81b
    Another question similar to this:

I work with a blog that focuses on High School Sports. Can our company create our own "press passes" to legitimize ourselves when looking to gain entry into High School events? Are there any issues that we could run into? I have done a decent amount of research, but haven't really found much. Any advise would be very much appreciated.
  • 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM
    chuckdee
    What situations are you being "harassed" at? I shoot in public all the time. If somebody tells me no, I generally ignore them.
    I freelance for Getty and the AP from time to time and I can tell you that if you were to get caught, your friend would probably lose his job if he's a staffer or will stop getting calls if he's a stringer.
    If you have aspirations for legitimately shooting for one of these companies, you can kiss them goodbye. Just my two cents...
    Again, I'm not sure why you would need a phony press badge...??
  • 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
    Chris350
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny81b View Post
    Another question similar to this:

I work with a blog that focuses on High School Sports. Can our company create our own "press passes" to legitimize ourselves when looking to gain entry into High School events? Are there any issues that we could run into? I have done a decent amount of research, but haven't really found much. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

You're not describing a "Press Pass" instead you're discussing a press ID. The first is granted by a venue/promotor/governing body to a valid news entity. The second seeks to legitimize the possessor.

Basically if it's "Fake" you're misrepresenting (aka lying) about who you are.

If you want to be legit, look at joining the North American Sports Writers and Sportscaster Association (NSSA), the International Societie de Presse Sportive (AIPS) or the American Society Of Media Photographers (ASMP). Meet the qualifications, pay your dues and become a member of a journalistic community.

It's been said before, by seeking to represent yourself as something you're not (aka fraud) you're harming the reputations of those who are members of the working media.

Those of us who have taken the time to obtain legitimate membership in one of these organizations expect to be able to work events that at which we present our credentials with out having to fight our way through a collection of camera toting wannabes in order to do our jobs.

Think of it this way, you are hired to photograph an event. You need to be in a series of specific locations at that event to get the coverage your organization desires. At each location you find yourself confronted by a crowd of parents or whom ever, with cameras impeding your access. You end up with poor shots or at worst no shots at all. Your time and the resources of your publication have been wasted. Wedding and event photographers write contracts to eliminate this problem by setting themselves up as the "sole photographer". A set of legitimate credentials from a recognized media entity serves a similar purpose.

In your specific instance you probably want to contact the entity that oversees competition at the High School level in your area. That entity can point you toward the specific school officials who can grant you legitimate access to their facilities. They will also be able to provide you with any guidelines for proper behavior while working in these facilities. Start with the local school board and move on to the Athletic Director at the specific schools you intend to work. In general, the pecking order at most sporting events I've worked is print media gets first rights. The larger the audience the higher the priority that entity receives. So basically it goes national or state, followed by regional and local and websites are frequently lowest on the pole. if you're web you may need to show the number of page loads your site generates in a given period to prove that your legitimacy.

You may also want to plan on obtaining releases from the district, the schools (a property release) and model releases from the parents of the athletes (because they're minors). This isn't common for strictly editorial use,If you ever find a use for an image beyond editorial (news) purposes those releases become vital.