• 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM
    mdkphotography
    Do I need a press pass for fire photos?
    Let me tell you my problem. I am a beginning photographer. I'm a sophomore in college studying photography. My boyfriend is a U.S Forest Service FireFighter. One of the engine crews a couple years back died in a fire and the anniversary is coming up. The Captain asked me if I could take a good night shot of a fire for them. They want to frame it and use it for the anniversary coming up. I live in southern California and there are always fires, especially in the upcoming months.

Anyways, I have a little sports lens for my camera (300mm). I need to get closer than pedestrians can.

Any advice?

I really want a pass to get close but I don't know how to obtain one? Press pass? Forest Service pass?

I've heard of freelance photographer pass, but with something like a wildland fire, I think its too dangerous and they wouldn't let anyone freelance get past.

I really have no idea how to get close enough, but I really want to do this for my boyfriends engine crew. It is for a good cause.

please help!
  • 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
    jorgemonkey
    Re: Do I need a press pass for fire photos?
    Welcome to the site! I'm not quite sure on what exactly you'll need, but my thoughts would be to talk to either US Forestry department & let them know what you'd like to do & the reason why. My only thoughts of not letting you get close is the obvious danger of being close to a wildfire. I believe we actually have a firefighter or two (city/county) on this site & hopefully they can start pointing you in the right direction.
  • 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
    ken1953
    Hi MDK and welcome to the site. First of all, technically and legally, you need nothing to access a news worthy event. That being said, is it worth the hassle to fight the authorities on the spot. NO! unless it's a once in a lifetime megabucks shot. Always ask yourself, am I ready to go to jail or lose my life over this shot. This is the advise given to me a while back when I was shooting wildfires in Texas.
    Further advise was to check with your local police, fire, county and state law enforcement agencies to see if they have a "Press Kit" and what there policies are regarding news photographers. (Don't call yourself "freelance", makes you sound like an amateur, IMHO). As for a press pass, if you really want one and you don't work for a news agency or other info gathering company, just make up your own. Anyone can make their own. Just don't put any copyrighted logos or misinformation on it.
    As for the special request, talk the captain and see if he can't get you a special access pass. Being a Captain, he should have access to all of this type of material and more information for you, even if he is not actively fighting a particular blaze.
    I hope that this helps a little, and gets to you in time.
    One last thing, my experience was that I was asked to move my car and I did. But after I told him I was a freelancing, he didn't bother me after that, but, if they give you a hassle, just follow their directions and move to a spot where someone is more amenable.
    Remember, ask yourself, am I ready to die or go to jail for this shot!!! If you are, then stand up for your rights, if not, then leave to fight another day!!!
    Good luck and my condolences for the loss of your friend and a hero to us all!!!!
  • 11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
    w.slayman
    MDK,

As far as I know no passes or credentials are required to take photos in a public place, but they may make life easier to gain access and get a little closer.

As an ex-fire officer, and arson investigator, I would offer you the following advise.
    1. Never cross a barricade without permission from the ranking fire officer present, he has absolute authority over everyone on the scene, even the police at an active fire scene, and the barricade or tape is there for a reason.
    2. If your face or exposed skin feels hot or you are getting hit by water spray you are too close, BACK OFF, the best shot ever has no value if the camera melts, or you get hurt.
    3. Be aware of what is happening around you, and ALWAYS stay out of the way.
    4. Leave a card with the fire official, and offer copies of photos to him if they are need for official purposes, or even to take special shots if he wants you to. (Sometimes photos of people present at a fire are very valuable evidence). But do not be a pest he is busy.
    5. Never allow yourself to become part of the problem, or get into a position where you will need rescue, medical help etc.
    6. After the fire is totally out do not go into the building looking for a good shot, as it can be dangerous, and you could destroy or compromise vital evidence.
    7. The best way to get fire photos may be to consider offering your services in a volunteeer basis, to the local fire department (especially a volunteer department) as an "Official Photographer" and take any training required.

Good Luck,
  • 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM
    Photo-John
    Great advice! Excellent to have you as a member here and be able to learn from your experience! Seriously. This makes me very happy :)

For what it's worth, there's no such thing as an official photographer's credential in the US. A credential from a publication or a business card can help get you access to things. But legally, you don't need one. Having a business card is a good idea because it makes you look official.
  • 11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
    SmartWombat
    In the UK however there is an offical scheme run by the media to accredit photographers so that the police are less likely to arrest, or stop and search, at a major event.
  • 11-24-2009, 06:10 AM
    ciddog91
    Quote:

As an ex-fire officer, and arson investigator, I would offer you the following advise.
    1. Never cross a barricade without permission from the ranking fire officer present, he has absolute authority over everyone on the scene, even the police at an active fire scene, and the barricade or tape is there for a reason.
    2. If your face or exposed skin feels hot or you are getting hit by water spray you are too close, BACK OFF, the best shot ever has no value if the camera melts, or you get hurt.
    3. Be aware of what is happening around you, and ALWAYS stay out of the way.
    4. Leave a card with the fire official, and offer copies of photos to him if they are need for official purposes, or even to take special shots if he wants you to. (Sometimes photos of people present at a fire are very valuable evidence). But do not be a pest he is busy.
    5. Never allow yourself to become part of the problem, or get into a position where you will need rescue, medical help etc.
    6. After the fire is totally out do not go into the building looking for a good shot, as it can be dangerous, and you could destroy or compromise vital evidence.
    7. The best way to get fire photos may be to consider offering your services in a volunteeer basis, to the local fire department (especially a volunteer department) as an "Official Photographer" and take any training required.
    Excellent advice. If you are taking pictures in public you do not need a press pass or credentials. Anyone can do it. It may make people mad, but there is nothing they can do except harass you. That being said, if you get permission and follow the above, it makes life LOTS easier. Also if you get to know some of the fire officials, they may help you get closer, or give you good information that will help you. But it is a give take game. You help them, they help you. I have stopped several photogs who were getting too close on scenes and have been told by fire guys that they are part of the "team" when I know they are not. Fire guys control EVERYTHING at a fire. They control police, ems, and crowds (via police). Get in good with them.