Unhappy Do I have rights to photos I took for film shoot?

I was asked to take photos of a film shoot. I was not paid for the service, but was requested to document the shoot. My question: Who owns the rights to these photos? I would like to put them on my web site. Do I have to ask the producer for permission? Does he have the right to stop me from doing so? Is it okay just to use them without permission, or permission of the subjects of the photos? Please Help.

Re: Do I have rights to photos I took for film shoot?

Ohhhh, this is an interesting one. If you were not paid and there's no contract, I would think that you can do as you please, short of using them to sell a product. If you had been paid, you would have a problem because they would then fall under the rule of "work for hire." But since you weren't, I think you're in the clear. The movie people should have paid you $10, huh?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It depends what your website is. If it's just a site where you host your photos to share, you're probably fine. If it's a site where you sell photos, you should have a model release for every identifiable person in the photos. Further, if it is a site from which you sell, I would say that permission from the producer would be very wise, even though probably not specifically required.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    permission from the producer would be very wise, even though probably not specifically required.
    Good advice. Because even if you do have the right to post them, that won't stop someone from suing you. And a lawsuit will cost you money, regardless of your rights.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information