Can someone help me with Copyrighting?

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on how to copyright my photos to post on the web. I'm extremely new to photography and would like as much guidance and imput as I can get.

Thanks

Jason

Re: Can someone help me with Copyrighting?

There are at least three ways I can think of, each successively stronger than the previous (OK, so the first two really have no strength at all):

(1) Overlay an actual copyright notice right onto the photo itself. This is in my estimation really only good for low resolution stuff that you might toss out on the web. It can be removed rather easily (cropped or a clone tool) by someone really interested in removing it. It's use is really only informational.

(2) Properties meta data associated with the file. Windows allows you to make changes to the meta data associated with the file as does most photo-processing software tools. However, as with overlaying a copyright onto the image, this too can be removed pretty simply and is really only informational as well.

(3) DigiMarc. This is a licensed service. A watermark that is used to identify the picture as copyrighted by you is embedded within the image data. There are varying degrees of "strength" that can be applied where copying and editing have varying degrees of impact on the watermark, from some to none.

I'm sure there are other ways, but these are the ones I'm aware of. Additionally, I'd be a little hesitant about making hi-res images available on the web. Most images viewed in web pages need only about 72ppi screen resolution to be viewed well. Using images at that resolution make for poor reproduction. So, putting an image at 150ppi or greater doesn't serve much of a purpose for viewing on the web (it just presents a larger dimensional image), but the download can be printed with good results. You might want to consider that, too.

[Edit: I noticed that this thread also discusses protecting your digital images.]

You can use Easy Watermark Creator for this

Welcome to the site, Jason. Glad I found this thread as I was wondering the same thing. Looks like you have some good responses for it. Hope to see you post some pics soon.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Do you jmean to register your copyright officially, so that it's easier to challenge misuse of your images?
    Or just to put a stamp that says (c) Copyright 2006 Jason Miller ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMiller1070
    I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on how to copyright my photos to post on the web. I'm extremely new to photography and would like as much guidance and imput as I can get.

Thanks

Jason
    Everyone is assuming that you want to know how to place a copyright notice on/in an image. I'll just add a different twist: you already have a copyright on anything you post whether or not you explicitly say so. A copyright registration merely makes it easire, sometimes, to prove the point. Whether or not you register a copyright, getting anywhere in the legal system to defend a copyright takes lots of time and money.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

The Copyright Office has a form VA you can use to copyright a collection of unpublished photographs. They will accept a CD of jpegs, I'd send a bunch of contact sheets with small thumbnails since nobody knows how long CD's will last.

It costs $30 for each collection.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formvai.pdf

You can also register your entire website with the Copyright Office. Circular 66 helps to explain the process: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ66.pdf

Beth
    Elizabeth T Russell, attorney and author of "Art Law Conversations: A Surprisingly Readable Guide for Visual Artists"
    www.erklaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Everyone is assuming that you want to know how to place a copyright notice on/in an image. I'll just add a different twist: you already have a copyright on anything you post whether or not you explicitly say so. A copyright registration merely makes it easire, sometimes, to prove the point. Whether or not you register a copyright, getting anywhere in the legal system to defend a copyright takes lots of time and money.
    Michael has his law precisely correct. Copyright is automatic and does not need to be registered.

He is also right about cost to defend copyright and to be precise about $50,000 to begin legal action for copyright infringement.

Ronnoco

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by beth russell
    You can also register your entire website with the Copyright Office. Circular 66 helps to explain the process: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ66.pdf

Beth
    Hello Beth...and Welcome to PR. To all others, this is the person who gave the seminar on contracts that I went to the other night. She is very knowledgeable on the subject of legal matters as they pertain to art!!! In just a short 2 hours she taught me a lot about contracts and copyrights.
    Beth, I'm really glad you found your way here!!! I hope you like our little family because I know that you have a lot to offer us, and I hope we have at least a little to offer you.
    Again, welcome to PR
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danag42
    The Copyright Office has a form VA you can use to copyright a collection of unpublished photographs. They will accept a CD of jpegs, I'd send a bunch of contact sheets with small thumbnails since nobody knows how long CD's will last.

It costs $30 for each collection.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formvai.pdf
    One thing I recently learned about "compilations" whether they be contact sheets or CD's/DVD's etc...each item in the compilation must be "unpublished". Once published (which includes posting on the web for general viewing), then it must be copyrighted seperately.
    Make sure to read the application very carefully.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Cool Re: Can someone help me with Copyrighting?

I recently shared this conversation with my good friend GeeFoto who sent me this post this morning. WTG, Gee.

Our discussions are reflected in the following...

1. Be sure you are working with copies of your original images!

In addition to the very good suggestions already made in response #2. I believe doing alot of something to protect your work and to increase your visibility beats doing nothing at all. Limiting your files to 72 ppi and adding an overlay is an excellent option. Low resolution images make horrible prints as well as copy images. In essence anyone downloading would be getting a junk file.

2. If you are using Adobe Photoshop.. use the flatten image feature. So that the layers merge and save it as a newly named jpg file. I understand this makes it more difficult hard to undo and remove the overlays. This can be tedious job one by one... Try using the Process Multiple Files features in Adobe Elements. There maybe other programs that offer similar features but you will have to do your research as well as your own trial and error testing to make sure it works for you the way you want it to work.

3. Investigate and Test The Site First!
    Investigate the sites you plan on uploading your images too. View some of its members pages and simply "right click" on the images to see if the copy, print, and or download options are active. Keep in mind that some people who post images on the web do not know or care much about copyright protection.

The point here is too see if the site you are interested in offers copyright control features.

A Little More About Activating and Controling Right Click Options
    a) you can select to turn on or off right click mouse options.

b) Some sites feature technology that is similar or seems to be Adobe Flash compatible. Again, this is about limiting the use of the "right click" feature. If you are in doubt and you have the time, test the site yourself. Upload a test image, sign out. Go to the image you just posted as "visitor" and "right click" the image to see what happens. If its 100% Adobe Flash Technology has been used it will not allow you to print, copy or download anything.

I did this test myself and while the particular site copy feature was inactive (grayed out) unfortunately I was able to print and download a copy of the image. Good thing it was a test image.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.. CONSIDER THIS SERIOUSLY. If the site you are posting too, allows viewers to buy a DVD of the images...the DVD can be purchased and ripped and your images can be obtained that way as well. I understand this is how some sites make their money. I feel this option should be limited as well but its not.

I hope this blurb on the net has been helpful.
    ALL THE BEST
    http://AnnetteEBrownPhotography.com

Thread Information