Would like advice

Printable View

• 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
    KMCCLA
    3 Attachment(s)
    Would like advice
    I would like some advice, and perhaps some help in looking at getting a digital camera. Although I cannot afford it now, I plan to get one in the future. At this time I just recently got a Vivitar 3800n, that replaced my Ricoh KR-5sv. The shutter button froze up on it, and the film advance kept springing back and jamming it. I have a straight 50 mm (came with the new camera, but I have no real need for it), 35-70 mm, 70-120 mm, and 60-300 mm lenses, all PK manual focus. If and when I do go with a digital camera, I naturally want to keep my lenses, and just get the body. What I am perhaps looking for a fairly good, but yet still in the affordable range. I would like to stay with the manual focus because I tend to shoot fast, and like the control.

I have not yet tested my new camera, but plan too this weekend when the UP 844 returns to town. Below is a few pictures of it when it was in the last time, and shot with the Ricoh.
  • 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
    snoid
    Re: Would like advice
    Not sure what advice you are looking for, but a used K10, K200 or K20 will fit your bill.
    Just be sure to modify any Ricoh lenses before you mount them.

Nice train shots BTW. I always wondered why they have those panels on the side.
  • 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
    KMCCLA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snoid View Post
    Not sure what advice you are looking for, but a used K10, K200 or K20 will fit your bill.
    Just be sure to modify any Ricoh lenses before you mount them.

Nice train shots BTW. I always wondered why they have those panels on the side.

The panels are smoke lifters, and allow the smoke to be blown upward instead of back to the cab. The UP 844 is currently in Arkansas, but will be heading home this weekend, they bumped it up by one day because of flooding on the upper Missouri River. I plan on going back out this weekend and get some more.

Question about the lenses -- all I know thet all are just manual PK (or K) mounts. One of the lenses has seen three cameras -- my first (I think) was a Vivitar, then the Rioch, and back to the Vivitar 3800n. As long as these bodies can take the PK mount, I will be happy.
  • 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
    snoid
    Yes they are all good to go, as long as they are not PKR or KR mount.
    You will need to run in manual and use stop down metering.
    The cameras I mentioned all have a green button to do just that.
    I've been using M42 screw mounts on my K 7 with an adapter and see some great results.......:)
  • 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KMCCLA View Post
    I would like to stay with the manual focus because I tend to shoot fast, and like the control.

I just wanted to add that I think you'd be impressed with how accurate modern auto focus is. With a good camera, a good lens and proper technique you'lll actually have a lot more control and be able to work faster than you would focusing manually.

The photos are fun, too. Thanks for sharing :)
  • 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
    KMCCLA
    4 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I just wanted to add that I think you'd be impressed with how accurate modern auto focus is. With a good camera, a good lens and proper technique you'lll actually have a lot more control and be able to work faster than you would focusing manually.

The photos are fun, too. Thanks for sharing :)

My only -- and biggest problem -- is that I have the lack of funds. I have eyeing some digital SLRs, but most of them are way out of my price range. By keeping with the manual lenses, I can save a little money. It is like with my past two SLR cameras -- I got the body to fit the lenses. One of them is about 20 years old (70-200).

I was going to go out and try and shoot the train this weekend, but due to flooding they have bumped it up, and I simply do not have the time. Although I do have others fromlast time, here are some more.
  • 06-11-2011, 03:02 AM
    Eleanor Maw
    Quote:

My only -- and biggest problem -- is that I have the lack of funds.

A secondhand Nikon D70 fitted with a Nikon 18-70mm will only cost about $200 and take great photos :)

PS - I love your train photos :)
  • 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

My only -- and biggest problem -- is that I have the lack of funds.

I totally understand. And since you already have PK mount lenses, getting a Pentax DSLR is a great way to go. Buying a used camera body will get you a great camera and then, when you save up a little money you can buy a good auto focus lens to go with your camera :)
  • 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM
    Transit
    Quote:

I would like some advice, and perhaps some help in looking at getting a digital camera. Although I cannot afford it now, I plan to get one in the future...

Nice shots.
    Look out for a Pentax K100D, cheap as chips by now and a very competent camera.
    Pete