Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>
    Light and Shadow Samurai

Working to get a Pentax Dealer in Utah

I have been a Pentax shooter since I first bought my K1000 as a nineteen year old in 1981. I went digital in 2008 with the K10d and this year upgraded to the K7. I plan to keep shooting Pentax, but I do have my frustrations.

I love the gear. I really love the glass. My 50-135 F2.8 and my 50mm F1.4 are among my favorites.

My frustration is that there is no local dealer in Utah. A large furniture store is listed as a Pentax dealer, but the salesmen can not find any inventory in their computer systems. I've mentioned my desire to several of the better camera stores in Utah. I even got to play a little bit of Matchmaker between one of them and Pentax USA, but Pentax USA told me that they are limiting the number of dealers that can carry the 645D and that was the camera that particularly interested one of the stores. Another store told me that Pentax USA wants a very large investment up front in Pentax gear, but they do not feel the investment matches the potential market share.

I wish Pentax USA would be more interested in brick and mortar dealers. People will often ask me for suggestions as to which camera to buy, but then they cannot get the handle the product in a store and they buy something else. This makes it hard to build much of a Pentax community in Utah. Sigh.
    Sparky
    Servant of Light and Shadow

Re: Working to get a Pentax Dealer in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sparks
    I have been a Pentax shooter since I first bought my K1000 as a nineteen year old in 1981. I went digital in 2008 with the K10d and this year upgraded to the K7. I plan to keep shooting Pentax, but I do have my frustrations.

I love the gear. I really love the glass. My 50-135 F2.8 and my 50mm F1.4 are among my favorites.

My frustration is that there is no local dealer in Utah. A large furniture store is listed as a Pentax dealer, but the salesmen can not find any inventory in their computer systems. I've mentioned my desire to several of the better camera stores in Utah. I even got to play a little bit of Matchmaker between one of them and Pentax USA, but Pentax USA told me that they are limiting the number of dealers that can carry the 645D and that was the camera that particularly interested one of the stores. Another store told me that Pentax USA wants a very large investment up front in Pentax gear, but they do not feel the investment matches the potential market share.

I wish Pentax USA would be more interested in brick and mortar dealers. People will often ask me for suggestions as to which camera to buy, but then they cannot get the handle the product in a store and they buy something else. This makes it hard to build much of a Pentax community in Utah. Sigh.
    I shoot Olympus. I feel your pain. The nearest dealer, even if there is one, would be Atlanta. 80 miles away. Even at that I am sure there would be no pro grade cameras or high end glass. I rely very heavily on reviews for all my purchases, so be sure to write a few.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I hear ya, Tom. I'm here in Utah too, and started shooting DSLR's with the Pentax K10d. After about a year, I moved over to Canon. It's tough to find good local support for Pentax here. I know several people that shoot Pentax in Utah, so you aren't alone.

Doesn't Inkley's carry Pentax?
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

I live in Provo and shoot Pentax, so everything I need come way of the net also. I wish I would have went with Canon but I have glass dating back from years ago so Pentax here I am.

Light and Shadow Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    I hear ya, Tom. I'm here in Utah too, and started shooting DSLR's with the Pentax K10d. After about a year, I moved over to Canon. It's tough to find good local support for Pentax here. I know several people that shoot Pentax in Utah, so you aren't alone.

Doesn't Inkley's carry Pentax?
    Is Inkley's a camera store? Just kidding, but they suck. And no, they lost Pentax when they did the whole "We can't pay our bills" thing last year.
    Sparky

For what its worth, Pictureline retweeted a post I made about Pentax cameras last week. I took note of that since they aren't currently a Pentax dealer. It might not mean a thing but I can't help but wonder if they're taking a closer look at Pentax.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Light and Shadow Samurai

I spoke with Pictureline people about 6 weeks ago. I know they have been talking to Pentax, but not sure they like the investment required from Pentax based on probably market share. One can hope.
    Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sparks
    I spoke with Pictureline people about 6 weeks ago. I know they have been talking to Pentax, but not sure they like the investment required from Pentax based on probably market share. One can hope.
    I wonder if Pentax can loosen up to get into the market here. Their cameras are great and represent a real alternative. If Pictureline is willing to really sell them and not just let them sit on a shelf I think they could do well - especially with the outdoor photographers. In my opinion that's where they really shine. Although, they make decent portrait cameras as well
    Photo-John

As another long-time Pentax shooter based in Utah, B&H has been my go-to for years. However i was pleasantly (and cautiously) surprised to hear from a friend -- who has been a 645 shooter for years -- that there is now a new shop in Ogden that carries Pentax cameras/lenses. It was started by the Inkley family and is called The Imaging Depot (http://www.theimagingdepot.com). I have not been there so cannot attest to WHAT exactly they are stocking, but would love to hear a report from someone.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by clayhaus
    As another long-time Pentax shooter based in Utah, B&H has been my go-to for years. However i was pleasantly (and cautiously) surprised to hear from a friend -- who has been a 645 shooter for years -- that there is now a new shop in Ogden that carries Pentax cameras/lenses. It was started by the Inkley family and is called The Imaging Depot (http://www.theimagingdepot.com). I have not been there so cannot attest to WHAT exactly they are stocking, but would love to hear a report from someone.
    Hi Jeff...Just a heads up. I made a small correction to your link as it was not working properly. For some reason, when the / was in there, it had to redirect the page, so I removed it to make it function properly. I hope you don't mind.
    I took a look at the page, but they really don't offer much online as of yet. Hopefully they will expand their online site a little more so that we can see what they have, other than print type services.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Curse of the trailing foreslash! Thanks for fixing.

Yes, I am singularly unimpressed with their website, though remain somewhat hopeful that they will stock a full line of Pentax dSLRs as well as lenses.

I mentioned to Jens at Pictureline that I have been shopping at his store for over 15 years but only for printers, scanners, packs and general supplies, but never cameras. When he asked why, I said that I shoot Pentax, and he nodded like he had heard that before. For what that is worth...

Light and Shadow Samurai

I just checked out their site and it offers nothing of value. I can't see any product except for prints and I'm not going to print there. I'll have to do a site visit and check them out.
    Sparky

As a follow-on, I posted a note on the Imaging Depot's Facebook page asking when/if they would stock the k-5 and they replied that they could order one for me. Not the same: I can do that w/ B&H.

Quote Originally Posted by clayhaus
    As a follow-on, I posted a note on the Imaging Depot's Facebook page asking when/if they would stock the k-5 and they replied that they could order one for me. Not the same: I can do that w/ B&H.
    Right. Many bike shops do the same thing. The reply I always want to make is, "If I wanted to order it I already would have done so." The shops that keep everything in stock are the ones that end up earning my loyalty.
    Photo-John

Pentax Forum Moderator

I really wish Pentax would be more accessible everywhere. I'd love to be able to go into a shop and test drive different models.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I am pretty much resigned to internet-only Pentax purchases, as there seem to be zero dealers in the Atlanta metro area. But that's really fine for me, as reputable net stores like B&H and Adorama do a great job. I bought my K5 body from Adorama through Amazon, and couldn't be happier. I understand Dealers are reluctant to stock product from the smaller manufacturers (that is pretty much all other than Canikon), because the dealer has to buy the stock, rather than the manufacturer simply sending a inventory in that is fluid and can be "fine-tuned" at any time by swapping out stock. I do miss the old days when I could go to a local store and buy Pentax accessories, though. Nowadays if you ask about Pentax gear at a camera dealer, you're likely to get a cold reception, or even misinformation, as it would not be profitable to encourage sales of product they will not carry.

tha's wonderful

Thread Information