Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

What now for my k100d

Since it's my birthday my wife wants to buy me something for my K100d. Budget is around $300, so I am thinking flash or lens. I already have the kit 18-55 and a 50-200 mm lens. I was thinking I would like the 540 flash but have been reading a few bad reviews about a pin breaking off. I have also been thinking wide angle lens.
    I am a newbie looking for suggestions from those more experienced than I for the $300 addition for my new hobby. I now take mostly outdoor or travel photos but at some point in time I want to start taking interior shots.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: What now for my k100d

With out question, I would add the Pentax FA 50 F1/4.
    It is blazing fast and can shoot in really dark situations..Perfect for indoor and out door photography. The lens sells for under $200.00 and the lens hood. (get a rubber one) sells for about $15.00 bucks....As far as the flash goes, I have not heard of the pins breaking off unless they are banged against something...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thanks Javier, the fa 50 has been ordered and is on its way

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

You will be very happy with it. There is also a 50mm only thread here in the view finder forum. Check it out.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

you'll have to let me know how you like it. I just got some b-day cash myself. I have been thinking of buying a flash. For real, let me know.

What about a fish eye? I've been looking at some picks online and I'm loving some fish eye. I'm torn on what to buy next

Well Jenj22 I have already ordered the 50mm lens and its on its way. And soon I will be ordering the sunpak 383 flash. Since I am quite the neophyte I feel I don't really need a Pro quality flash at this point. For an entry level flash the 383 has gotten some great reviews. It has some drawbacks but for $80-90 that leaves $$ for more lenses and filters. As requested I will report back on my experiences with both the new lens and flash.

Go with what your interest are.

Quote Originally Posted by jenj22
    What about a fish eye? I've been looking at some picks online and I'm loving some fish eye. I'm torn on what to buy next

I was VERY close to buying a fisheye as my first "non kit" lens. While a FE lens can be fun to play with, it isn't the first lens you would want to start your collection with. I realized a few things:
    First off, it's a very specialized lens that you'll maybe play with now and again as a hobby. the good fisheye's aren't cheap, either.
    The first lenses that you start your collection with should be good lenses that can be versatile.
    The list Javier made in this thread (see link) are EXCELLENT choices for this purpose. K20d Essentials
    Once you get a little more experienced, and you have a good selection of glass, start getting some of the specialized lenses.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Thread Information