Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Using LCD Display as Viewfinder on Pentax *ist DL

I recently purchased the Pentax *ist DL. This is my first SLR, digital or otherwise. I want to know if its possible at all to use the LCD as a viewfinder, the way most regular digital cameras can. If it is possible, I can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hxcmusic; 07-31-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: edited title

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Using LCD Display as Viewfinder on Pentax *ist DL

It is not possible.
    Very few digital SLRs offer this, primarily because the design of a conventional DSLR prevents this from happening.

Autofocus and metering systems are generally distributed between the viewfinder and the area beneath the mirror where a sub-mirror (behind a partially transmissive part of the primary mirror) reflects light down. Then you have the shutter itself in front of the CCD.

using live preview would require this all be gone, and the sensor must supply a video feed to the LCD. This is also a big battery hog.

Olympus and Panasonic if memory serves each have a single camera with this, in the OLY's case the easiest way to use it involves a second sensor in the viewfinder porro system.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information