Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

using 35mm lenses on digital slr camera

Greetings,
    I recently purchased a Pentax SLR and would like to use my lenses from my Pentax 35mm camera.I am using a K mount and set the camera to Manual but can not get the camera to focus. What am I not doing or doing wrong.
    Thanks in advance for any info/help available.
    Wes Roth

Re: using 35mm lenses on digital slr camera

Quote Originally Posted by opalcutter
    Greetings,
    I recently purchased a Pentax SLR and would like to use my lenses from my Pentax 35mm camera.I am using a K mount and set the camera to Manual but can not get the camera to focus. What am I not doing or doing wrong.
    Thanks in advance for any info/help available.
    Wes Roth
    The camera won't autofocus in manual mode. And as far as I know K mount are manual focus only lenses.

If you want autofocus you will need to get an AF lens.

Tim

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello Opalcutter and welcome to PR. I just purchased a Pentax *ist DL myself and have a couple of older K mount lenses. None of my auto features will work with my lenses and so I have to set everything manually when I use them. However, I am still trying to learn this camera and am not sure if there is a way to make some of the auto functions to work. FYI, as I understand, all older Pentax lenses will fit the modern Pentax's, but the auto functions will be different. Hope this helps a little.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

if the lens has an A position on the aperture ring set it to that position and all thats required is to manually focus.. everything else works as per normal..

if the lens dosnt have the A position the camera menue needs altering to permit the ring usage.. by default its off..

the lens then has to be manually focused.. the camera needs to be in manual mode and the green button needs pressing to stop the lens down to the position selected by the ring and get the exposure correct prior to taking the picture.. if the button isnt pressed the camera will expose for the widest aperture the lens has..

A.. lenses are the ones to look for but command the highest prices.. the none A lenses just require a little more user intervention to make them work and tend to come cheaper..

just a basic idea of how it works..

trog

Thread Information