Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax "Star Lenses"

I find it very interesting that the new line of lenses coming out shortly from Pentax are all designed to work with a 1.3 ratio sensor. Perhaps this is a very strong indicator of things to come, not in the too distant future...

Ben

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Pentax "Star Lenses"

Benjikan, please forgive my ignorance, but I'm just learning all these different sensor sizes and how they relate to output. In my way of thinking a 1x3 sensor would lend it self better to landscape panoramas as opposed to standard pictures. Is this correct? In my way of thinking, the output would relate (uncropped) to a 2x6, 3x9, 4x12, 5x15, etc. Again, is this correct? If so, how would this benefit the future of sensors and general photographers?
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Benjikan, please forgive my ignorance, but I'm just learning all these different sensor sizes and how they relate to output. In my way of thinking a 1x3 sensor would lend it self better to landscape panoramas as opposed to standard pictures. Is this correct? In my way of thinking, the output would relate (uncropped) to a 2x6, 3x9, 4x12, 5x15, etc. Again, is this correct? If so, how would this benefit the future of sensors and general photographers?
    Ken
    No Ken, it is a 1.3 ratio sensor, i.e. If you were to buy a fixed prime 100mm lens it would translate to a 130mm lens on the 1.3 ratio sensor or more specifically a 1.3 multiple. The Nikon, Pentax and Sony sensors are a multiple of 1.5 which are smaller and would make the 100 a 150mm lens.

Ben

Pentax Forum Moderator

Oh...ok...sometimes it takes a sledgehammer to get this stuff thru my skull...hehe...Thanx for the clarification...I can now see where the advantage will be...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

That is interesting. It's possible they're doing it as a compromise in order to take best advantage of the sweet spot in the glass. But it would be cool if they went to a larger sensor size. That would be a bold move - especially since everyone but Canon seems pretty committed to the 1.5x sensor size.
    Photo-John

What if they found someone to make a sensor that is not in the 1:3 aspect ratio, but more like 4:5 or 3:4 (I tried the Olympus but I don't like the cameras)? For portraits, magazine pages, and such I'm always chopping off the ends of the frame.

The 645 and 6:7 formats on my medium format machines seem to utilize more of the frame for the actual final image.

Ben, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Even printing an A3 from a modern sensor forces you to either cut off the ends or make the print narrower.

Quote Originally Posted by danag42
    What if they found someone to make a sensor that is not in the 1:3 aspect ratio, but more like 4:5 or 3:4 (I tried the Olympus but I don't like the cameras)? For portraits, magazine pages, and such I'm always chopping off the ends of the frame.

The 645 and 6:7 formats on my medium format machines seem to utilize more of the frame for the actual final image.

Ben, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Even printing an A3 from a modern sensor forces you to either cut off the ends or make the print narrower.
    Now that the Star lenses are available..Just wait for some new surprises in the near future...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax "Star Lenses"-draftshiva-bis.jpg  

Thread Information