• 11-29-2008, 07:06 AM
    jandu
    unsharp autofocusing on K10D
    Hi folks, I am having problems in shooting with my Pentax K10D (soft 1.3) with DA* 16-50 and 50-135 zooms : auto-focus shots always are unsharp, while in manual focussing OK;
    settings on camera : AF.C, on lenses AF; mostly using Tv mode - RAW;
    all pictures taken on autofocus (especially on basketball sports) are catastrophic;
    all suggestions welcome to solve; camera is 1 yr old so still brand new.
    Many thanks for your support
  • 11-29-2008, 07:46 AM
    SmartWombat
    Re: unsharp autofocusing on K10D
    can you post a few pictures to the forum, so we can see the problem?
  • 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jandu
    Hi folks, I am having problems in shooting with my Pentax K10D (soft 1.3) with DA* 16-50 and 50-135 zooms : auto-focus shots always are unsharp, while in manual focussing OK;
    settings on camera : AF.C, on lenses AF; mostly using Tv mode - RAW;
    all pictures taken on autofocus (especially on basketball sports) are catastrophic;
    all suggestions welcome to solve; camera is 1 yr old so still brand new.
    Many thanks for your support

I'm just a new guy with a camera, but I have a harder time with the shots you mention because it's harder to focus those shots. For the AF shots, it's bad light, they are moving and you are moving to get the shot. For your MF shots, I bet everything is nice and controlled.

Here is a chart and method for checking if your system focuses too close or far, though some think that it is too precise and that there is room for a lot of error in real world, non-macro shooting.

http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html

TF
  • 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM
    ken1953
    Hi Jandu, Welcome to PR and the Pentax forum. SW is right, we really need to see some shots to help us figure out what is going on.
    Another question, "Does this only happen while shooting indoor sports?". Although I've never tried basketball shots, I've heard that they are extremely difficult to capture because of poor lighting conditions. Just a thought.
    Let us see what you've got, indoor and outdoor.
  • 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
    jandu
    OK Ken, can I post RAW format ?
    KR
  • 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
    ken1953
    Sorry Jandu, the only formats allowed are: bmp, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg. Also, posting in the forums you are limited in size to 640x640, I believe, but if you post in your free PR gallery, you can post any size. One of the problems with posting RAW files, is that many people don't have the proper software to view them. However, if you want to post other than these formats, you can post to another site that allows those other formats and then put a link in your post.
    Another thing you want to remember is that although we allow posting of photos, we can't control who downloads them and even when they are marked with a copyright, nefarious people still try to steal good photos. We recommend that you post low quality (60% or less for example) to try to prevent this and limit the size to a viewable and presentable online experience, but something that would not reproduce well in print. This will help curb some of the copyright infringement.
    Good luck and hope this helps a little.
  • 12-04-2008, 11:39 AM
    kjelle
    Hey, i have focus problem with my new Tamron 28-75/2,8 when i sent the camera and lens for calibrating i was told that the focusproblem relates to the camera and this problem is very common but most noticeable on fast lenses, maybe your problem relates to the camera too. You must have warranty left if its only one years old.

Kjell
  • 12-07-2008, 09:20 AM
    jandu
    Ken,
    here is a result shot of the test chart. I suppose thus a front focus problem ?
    kind regards

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5...testqz6.th.jpg
  • 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
    ken1953
    Jandu...I can see that there is probably a problem. But my technical level has been reached. So I am asking for someone else to please jump in and advise you on this problem and advise you further. I will continue to follow and learn with you. If no one answers you shortly, I will try to contact someone to check in and see what they suggest. Good luck.
  • 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM
    hollis
    I remember reading about a focus issue when the K10D was 1st sold,
    it was supposed to be fixed on later production runs.

I'd send it back to Pentax
  • 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
    Ron Kruger
    I have a K20D, and the AF worked fine for the first four or five months, now it won't work at all with either of my lenses: goes from one end to the other and won't focus on anything. I contacted Pentax, and they told me to send it in, but the truth is, I don't trust them. They already screwed me out of a rebate on some silly technocality, and I'm afraid that if I send it in, they'll keep it for a long time (I can't afford to be without a camera for long), and then tell me I have to pay to have it fixed because of some technocality with their warrenty.
  • 12-27-2008, 08:10 AM
    jandu
    happy newyear to all of you;
    here is some update about the problem : the K10D body with the 2 DA* lenses have been sent to Pentax service center for correction of the autofocus problem;

does someone know if this is a typical lens-problem or is it only to do with alignment in the body ?
    kind regards - jan
  • 12-27-2008, 10:22 AM
    Ron Kruger
    Dear Jandu,
    When I called Pentax and talked to a tech, they said since it was a problem I was having with all my lenses, the problem was in the camera's body, but wouldn't elaborate.
    Please keep me posted about how long it takes Pentax to fix this problem, because I have the same problem and can't afford to be without my camera for long. I'm also wondering if they stand behind their warranty, or find some loophole in the fine print.