Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Problem with new Pentax ME Super PLEASE HELP

I just bought a Pentax ME Super from ebay and I'm having a little trouble with it. When I first got it everything seemed fine with it. I could look through the view finder but the batteries were dead so there wasn't any LED's lit up. It didn't have any film in it but I wanted to test it so I advanced the crank and pressed down the shutter but after I did that the shutter stayed closed (I can no longer see through the viewfinder) and the crank wont advance. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Problem with new Pentax ME Super PLEASE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by JonO822
    I just bought a Pentax ME Super from ebay and I'm having a little trouble with it. When I first got it everything seemed fine with it. I could look through the view finder but the batteries were dead so there wasn't any LED's lit up. It didn't have any film in it but I wanted to test it so I advanced the crank and pressed down the shutter but after I did that the shutter stayed closed (I can no longer see through the viewfinder) and the crank wont advance. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    I used to have an ME Super. I am almost certain that, unlike the MX, the batteries are required to make ME operate properly. Put good batteries in and try again.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    I used to have an ME Super. I am almost certain that, unlike the MX, the batteries are required to make ME operate properly. Put good batteries in and try again.
    I figured it needed batteries also, even though the manual does say it can work without them, when I put them in the LED's came on ok but that is all I can see in the viewfinder and it still wont advance.

Smile Re: Problem with new Pentax ME Super PLEASE HELP

I own a ME SUPER- I found that you must set to 125x to release the shutter when it stays open for a long time - 125x is a SET or FIXED shutter speed and will not allow to remain open based on lighting conditions.

try that - and see if the camera releases the apature.... let me know.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with new Pentax ME Super PLEASE HELP-mesuper.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome to the site and thanks for the post, Pentax Larry! It's always good to have a new member who can share their experience. If you own the Optio A10, please post a review. We need more user reviews for Pentax compact digital cameras.

Write a digital camera review >>

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I had the same issue with my ME Super a few years ago. I may be mis-speaking here a bit, but as I remember it there are rubber bumpers in the shutter assembly that get sticky with age. These need to be replaced along with a good cleaning and tuneup. Cost me about $75 at the time. Works like new after that. I don't use it any more as I have a ZX-7 and a K100d. Would consider selling.

The first SLR I ever used was a ME SUPER. I love that camera!

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

If you advance the winder further than it should go that should solve the fixed position, and with the viewfinder being blacked out change the aperture and that also should work
    Adam
    Squeeze me!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Jon...we have many users of the ME Super on this forum. I'm sure one of them will be able to give you exact advise on this issue. I still own 2 M class Pentax's but never really used them. It happened to me also, but I can't remember what I did to correct it. I think it had something to do with long exposure settings.
    As for selling it...as suggested by Iscrabeck, thats an idea, but learning film is an excellent way to improve your overall photography skills. He/She also makes an excellent suggestion about having it cleaned and checked out at a reputable camera repair shop.
    The ME is still very popular and so parts are still fairly easy to come by.
    Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information