Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Spotmatic Takumar relevance

Is there a realistic place in modern photography for the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and its 42mm-screw Super-Takumar lenses? I have just acquired one with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 which takes a passable picture. But, is there a lense that would lift the performance of this wonderful camera. I look forward to your ideas.

drg

Re: Spotmatic Takumar relevance

Quote Originally Posted by Mimoore54
    Is there a realistic place in modern photography for the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and its 42mm-screw Super-Takumar lenses? I have just acquired one with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 which takes a passable picture. But, is there a lense that would lift the performance of this wonderful camera. I look forward to your ideas.
    Of course there is relevance if you want to use film. The Super-Tak lenses should make as good photo as anything of their era or better. I've got a couple of those series that still work well. They are manual focus and need to be stopped down some to get the best performance.

Even modern cameras with a M42 mount adapter can use this series nicely if the coating hasn't deteriorated or become infested with fungus. Not all DSLR's will support the adapted lenses; the Pentax cameras are some of the most flexible.

Have the Spotmatic checked by a technician to be sure it is working properly. Some of these are cameras are over 40 years old and need a bit of CLS and TLC to work their best.

Do you have some sample images?

I may ask the mod to move this to the film category as it should generate some added response as this is a film camera you are using!

Welcome to Photography Review!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

See my reply in the Film Forum
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Pentax Forum Moderator

This thread is also in the Film Forum at Spotmatic Takumar relevance . You can check out some other responses there. Thanks to a suggestion by drg...I felt it had merit in both forums.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information