• 12-14-2009, 12:24 AM
    Mimoore54
    Spotmatic Takumar relevance
    Is there a realistic place in modern photography for the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and its 42mm-screw Super-Takumar lenses? I have just acquired one with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 which takes a passable picture. But, is there a lense that would lift the performance of this wonderful camera. I look forward to your ideas.
  • 12-14-2009, 11:27 AM
    drg
    Re: Spotmatic Takumar relevance
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimoore54
    Is there a realistic place in modern photography for the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and its 42mm-screw Super-Takumar lenses? I have just acquired one with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 which takes a passable picture. But, is there a lense that would lift the performance of this wonderful camera. I look forward to your ideas.

Of course there is relevance if you want to use film. The Super-Tak lenses should make as good photo as anything of their era or better. I've got a couple of those series that still work well. They are manual focus and need to be stopped down some to get the best performance.

Even modern cameras with a M42 mount adapter can use this series nicely if the coating hasn't deteriorated or become infested with fungus. Not all DSLR's will support the adapted lenses; the Pentax cameras are some of the most flexible.

Have the Spotmatic checked by a technician to be sure it is working properly. Some of these are cameras are over 40 years old and need a bit of CLS and TLC to work their best.

Do you have some sample images?

I may ask the mod to move this to the film category as it should generate some added response as this is a film camera you are using!

Welcome to Photography Review!
  • 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM
    w.slayman
    See my reply in the Film Forum
  • 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM
    ken1953
    This thread is also in the Film Forum at http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=60092 . You can check out some other responses there. Thanks to a suggestion by drg...I felt it had merit in both forums.
    Ken