Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Setting for Fast Moving Object?

Hello,
    Little help here for this dig camera newbie. =) What is the setting (Pentax K10) that I would use if I wanted to "freeze" a fast moving object?
    Thanks!

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: Setting for Fast Moving Object?

Quote Originally Posted by TMK10
    Hello,
    Little help here for this dig camera newbie. =) What is the setting (Pentax K10) that I would use if I wanted to "freeze" a fast moving object?
    Thanks!
    Hi TM and welcome to PR...Good to see another pentaxian here.
    Piece of cake. Set your camera on TV mode and this will give you shutter priority. The K10D has a tendency to underexpose by about 1/3 to 1/2 stop, so raise your ISO settings to 400. ( don't use auto, it will always select to low a number) ...Be sure and set your display to show you the histogram first. This will help you fine tune your exposer...If this seems a little deep let me know and we can go slow...Make sure that the histogram is center / right, NOT left. If it is left, it will show noise. Always center right. From there fine tune your shutter speed via the wheel on the back and the camera will set the rest automatically.

What type and kind of lens are you using?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi TMK...and Welcome to PR. We are here to help you anyway we can. Javier has given you some great advise. Your lens information will help him fine tune your settings as each lens reacts differently in each setting. I have gotten some great photos with my *ist DL which is a beginning DSLR w/kit lens and a Pentax DA 50-200mm ED lens.
    I have seen many great shots from the K10D so I know you will do great, and be happy when you start practicing with your camera.
    Good luck and please feel free to post your shots here so we can enjoy your photos and help you correct any problems and praise your accomplishments.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Piece of cake. Set your camera on TV mode and this will give you shutter priority. The K10D has a tendency to underexpose by about 1/3 to 1/2 stop, so raise your ISO settings to 400. ( don't use auto, it will always select to low a number) ...Be sure and set your display to show you the histogram first. This will help you fine tune your exposer...If this seems a little deep let me know and we can go slow...Make sure that the histogram is center / right, NOT left. If it is left, it will show noise. Always center right. From there fine tune your shutter speed via the wheel on the back and the camera will set the rest automatically.

Thanks for the info.! How do I changed the ISO settings?

I am using the base lens: 52mm, 15-52

Thanks Ken!
    I will post some photos soon. Maybe this one if I can get it narrowed down on how to shoot it correctly. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Hi TMK...and Welcome to PR. We are here to help you anyway we can. Javier has given you some great advise. Your lens information will help him fine tune your settings as each lens reacts differently in each setting. I have gotten some great photos with my *ist DL which is a beginning DSLR w/kit lens and a Pentax DA 50-200mm ED lens.
    I have seen many great shots from the K10D so I know you will do great, and be happy when you start practicing with your camera.
    Good luck and please feel free to post your shots here so we can enjoy your photos and help you correct any problems and praise your accomplishments.

Anyone on changing ISO Settings?

TM,
    For the kit lens (18-55) start out at ISO 400.
    Hit the function button and scroll to ISO 400.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thanks Amigo!

Also, I attached one of the photos I took for a photo shoot I am doing with the Pentax. Let me know what you guys think, it's for a catalog I am working on. I love the ability to shoot these in Raw format, gives you so much control in Photoshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by TMK10
    Thanks Amigo!

Also, I attached one of the photos I took for a photo shoot I am doing with the Pentax. Let me know what you guys think, it's for a catalog I am working on. I love the ability to shoot these in Raw format, gives you so much control in Photoshop.
    :thumbsup:
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

When setting the camera to display the histogram, what would she (I) be looking for? How is this beneficial? Based on the results, what should I adjust? I guess I should say that I am not proficient at reading the histogram in the lest bit.
    Last edited by Snapac; 07-21-2008 at 01:15 PM.
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snapac
    When setting the camera to display the histogram, what would she (I) be looking for? How is this beneficial? Based on the results, what should I adjust? I guess I should say that I am not proficient at reading the histogram in the lest bit.
    John, I just finished browsing your site and how the Lord has blessed you indeed...
    What a very pretty wife and family along with friends you have their..

The histogram is such an important tool...It will really help u to fine tune your images and get the exposer spot on. The K10D also has a color histogram so that you can check to see if there are any color spikes. Ideally they should all be about the same.

When I get home, I will work up some examples and post them up here...I have been working on an easy to to understand the histogram and what it does in ''amateur'' (me) terms..When I was learning and reading up on it, most things confused me as they got a little to technical for me....

Be back later..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

I will take a stab at it. To explain how I understand it.

The histogram show the brightness of the image. A white mountain. If the mountain is to the left the image is dark. If the mountain is too the right the image is bright. Now you have to determine what you want. Mood so to speak. but by looking at the histogram you can make a decision.Most cases you will want it slightly to the right for proper exposure. The K10 slightly under exposes.

Another thing if you get a narrow peak that goes off the top of the histogram some thing in your picture is overexposed,

One more thing I find helpful besides the histogram is the bright, dark, That flashes on play back. If part of your image is blown out, overexposed.

Go to Play back menu. press the four way controller to play back display. You will see bright/dark area check the box using the four way controller.

I used this this last week end. Three people standing talking just out side of a shelter with a bright back ground. I took three pictures to get the exposure right.The first one the faces were under exposed although the background was over exposed.The second the hair on one person was blown out with the back ground. The third all three people were property exposed but back ground still blown out. This was the keeper.

I hope this helps just passing along some information others who helped me.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

You might be a bit overwhelmed by all the photog lingo, just set your camera for shutter speed and fire away

John, I just finished browsing your site and how the Lord has blessed you indeed...
    What a very pretty wife and family along with friends you have their..

The histogram is such an important tool...It will really help u to fine tune your images and get the exposer spot on. The K10D also has a color histogram so that you can check to see if there are any color spikes. Ideally they should all be about the same.

When I get home, I will work up some examples and post them up here...I have been working on an easy to to understand the histogram and what it does in ''amateur'' (me) terms..When I was learning and reading up on it, most things confused me as they got a little to technical for me....

Be back later..
    Thanks JGredine

I do feel very blessed, you also have a very lovely family. My wife is from LA and whenever the gas price drop low enough for us to fly again, we will have get together and do a photo- stroll. I am looking forward to see your next post, so that I can get a better understanding of the use of the histogram.
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

John, for sure when your in L.A. we need to go on a photo hunt...That would be great..I will work on the histrogram thing as I get time. What started out as simple has turned into 5 pages..eek. lol
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Thread Information