Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Question Differences between these Lenses,Please?

I've spent so many hours [days] looking at & reading about lenses.My eyes are crossed & I feel like my brain has become mush.I will probably feel silly at a later point for having to ask.But,I feel like I'm not seeing what's right in front of me at this point. LOL

Please help me.What is the differences between the following lenses?
    1. Pentax SMC P FA J-Telephoto 75-300mm F/4.5-5.8 AL
    2.Pentax DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED

Any experience or feedback on these lenses? They seem rather cheap [price]. Can these be used with a teleconverter? Is there a certain kind that I would need with them?
    Are these pretty slow lenses?
    Is there another lense that would be better? I need something with some reach.

I have a Asahi Pentax K1000 & Pentax K10.Will these lenses work with my cameras?
    Please be kind.

Cathy

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Differences between these Lenses,Please?

Hi Cathy, I started to write you the other night and I got too tired. I am in the process of moving and can only get on at motels or now that I'm destinated, on an unsecured network connection, so I am limited in my time.
    I was doing some research and for your needs, as I understand, and I'm still new at all of this myself, but the DA is probably your best bet. It is, as I understand, the "2nd generation" set of lenses, designed around the digital dslr's. D for Digital A for Autofocus. Other than that I'd say both lenses are similar and would be a great lens for you. I can't remember what the AL or the ED stand for and don't have the time right now to research for you, however, I"m sure someone will jump in soon and help me out. I think the ED has to do with the coating on the glass, but like I said, I don't remember, right now.
    Good luck, and if I get some time, I'll do a little more research for you.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catherIN
    I've spent so many hours [days] looking at & reading about lenses.My eyes are crossed & I feel like my brain has become mush.I will probably feel silly at a later point for having to ask.But,I feel like I'm not seeing what's right in front of me at this point. LOL
    Been there and done that..LOL

Please help me.What is the differences between the following lenses?
    1. Pentax SMC P FA J-Telephoto 75-300mm F/4.5-5.8 AL
    2.Pentax DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED
    basically, The ''FA'' lenses are Full frame Lenses that where designed before the DSLR's came out...
    The DA lenses are DSLR lenses that are designed to work efficiently with the smaller sensor and factoring in the 1.5x crop factor...Now here is the good news...''ALL'' FA lenses will work with your DSLR and work very well...In fact ALL K mount lenses will work on your DSLR...
    Now of the two lenses you mentioned, The FA J-Telephoto 75-300mm F/4.5-5.8 AL is attractive because of the price...FORGET ABOUT IT...It is too slow and to soft...The best lens in this range is the Sigma 70-300APO...It cost about $220.00...The next best one id the Tamron Di 70-300 for about $130.00...The Pentax DA55-300 is rumored to be extremely sharp and very good, but will cost about $500.00...It is out any day now... The DA* are all the Pro Lenses....They are absolutely the best of the best...

Any experience or feedback on these lenses? They seem rather cheap [price]. Can these be used with a teleconverter? Is there a certain kind that I would need with them?
    Are these pretty slow lenses?
    Is there another lense that would be better? I need something with some reach.
    See above...Also see here... TAMRON tc converter pics

I have a Asahi Pentax K1000 & Pentax K10.Will these lenses work with my cameras?
    Please be kind.

Cathy
    Yes, they will in manual mode. I love my K1OOO as well..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

Thanx Javier, I knew someone would jump in and save me...I hope I didn't give her any bad info.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, No problem...
    If I got asked a question on Nikon or Canon for example...I would be lost...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    .The Pentax DA55-300 is rumored to be extremely sharp and very good, but will cost about $500.00...It is out any day now... The DA* are all the Pro Lenses....They are absolutely the best of the best...
    )
    Amazon has the DA 55-300mm available for pre-order at $349.99. Release date is expected to be May 31st.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    Amazon has the DA 55-300mm available for pre-order at $349.99. Release date is expected to be May 31st.
    Cool, I am glad it is not $500.00, but it better be real good at this price. I believe the 70-300Sigma APO has set a real high bench mark. 15mm on the short side is a ton, but this may be at the compromise of quality on the long end..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Cool, I am glad it is not $500.00, but it better be real good at this price. I believe the 70-300Sigma APO has set a real high bench mark. 15mm on the short side is a ton, but this may be at the compromise of quality on the long end..
    I am renting the Pentax 55-300mm for a couple of weeks, so I will post some of the photos, I would be interested in some comparisons of this lens and the Sigma 70-300mm in sharpness and AF....anybody???
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

I read a review on the pentax forums on the pentax 55- 300 It gave it high marks.Very sharp.

I bought the Sigma 100-300 4.5 No regrets but it is heavy. If I had read the review on the Pentax 55-300 before. Hummm The author did say cropping was better than using a TC. and gave examples.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

OK, been busy at work, so not alot of time to shoot, but I got a quick few shots after work. All were on a tri-pod at ISO 100 wide open. I just couldn't get it done handheld. I will try some more interesting shots this weekend, and experiment more.

criticism is welcomed...it's the only way I will learn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Differences between these Lenses,Please?-pentax_55-300mm.jpg  
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

John, What lens are these shot with?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

John, What lens are these shot with?
    It's the Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm

www.johnrender.com

Thread Information