Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

SD cards for K10?

What speed should I be looking at for the K10D? I have been looking on Amazon and the average seems to be 5mb a second. is that enough to maximize the performance of the camera? I could care less about the download/upload speed, just the recycle time after filling the buffer.

Thanks for any help.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: SD cards for K10?

Almo - this is something I looked into myself once. According to Pentax, the minimum write speed of the K10D is about 10MB/sec. This is about equivalent to a 80x card. So to answer your question look for a fast card in the 100-120x range - any more is overkill. Having said that, my own cards are a little slower than this and while there is a LITTLE delay in clearing the buffer, it is only a matter of a few seconds, even after full burst of 9 or so RAW captures. I rechecked this on a Pentax forum, and this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Also, according to the Pentax forum, a 10MB/sec card should allow you to fill the card with jpegs without any pause at all.

In other words, if you really want to maximise everything, go for the 100x+ card - but even a slow one will be fine for most purposes considering the buffer holds 9 RAW anyway.

Hope this helps
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Almo - this is something I looked into myself once. According to Pentax, the minimum write speed of the K10D is about 10MB/sec. This is about equivalent to a 80x card. So to answer your question look for a fast card in the 100-120x range - any more is overkill. Having said that, my own cards are a little slower than this and while there is a LITTLE delay in clearing the buffer, it is only a matter of a few seconds, even after full burst of 9 or so RAW captures. I rechecked this on a Pentax forum, and this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Also, according to the Pentax forum, a 10MB/sec card should allow you to fill the card with jpegs without any pause at all.

In other words, if you really want to maximise everything, go for the 100x+ card - but even a slow one will be fine for most purposes considering the buffer holds 9 RAW anyway.

Hope this helps
    Mike
    It sure does help Mike, thanks!

I finally figured out that I was searching bass-akwards on Amazon and found some highspeed cards. My plan is to get a 133x 4Gb card and a couple of 2 gig MMC cards that write at 3-6mbs a second. I think that will do me. I don't often fill a buffer to be honest, but when I do it's usually in a place I need to be ready to go again right away, like at a baseball game.

Thanks again Mike, I really appreciate your experience. :thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

TX Jeeper

In my K10D I had really good luck with the OCZ Technology 150x 4GB card until I killed it by pulling it out of my USB card reader too quickly. These cards have a 3 year warranty and great customer service. I expect my replacement card soon. I purchased it at newegg.com. I also purchased 3 of their 2gb cards for our point & shoot cameras.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I have both the really fast cards and the cheapo as they come cards...I have seen no difference what so ever....Not on the K10D...There is a slight difference in the K100D super, but very tiny to nothing...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I'm sorry, I should have posted to update on what I ended up going with.

I got a middle speed Toshiba 2gig card for my main card, and a normal speed SanDic 1gig as a back up. I have not seen any difference either between the two. I also have a 16mb MMC card, that I accidentally kept when Rufus came through town, it also is no faster or slower, as I can tell.

I Plan to get a 4gig card in teh future, but for now the cards I have are great.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I read someplace, that the slowest cards are faster than the pentax buffer can handle...I don't remember where I read it, but from my own experience I would concur.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thread Information