The Q Mount
    The newest camera is here.
    This is very small, very nice.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/Q_White/
  • 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
    Transit
    Re: The Q Mount
    Looks very nice and so small !
    Hope it does well for them in the Japan/China market.
    Pete
  • 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
    Anbesol
    I'm curious what real conceivable benefit could be had from this. Its in such a strange category, by the time there is a consumer that wants a camera that small, at that price, are they really the consumer that wants interchangeable lens?

The 1/2.3" sensor renders it incapable of competing with Sony NEX or Olympus Pen, or even Canon G series in terms of image quality. What is left is convenience plus variability, for a super-low range compact system. I find it hard to believe that there is a real market for this, but I guess we will find out. Now that the mount is designed, they are fixed to that sensor size.
  • 06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
    ken1953
    Q-Mount? hmmm...so does this mean that Pentax is veering away from all of their cameras being able to use any of their legacy lenses?
  • 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ken1953 View Post
    Q-Mount? hmmm...so does this mean that Pentax is veering away from all of their cameras being able to use any of their legacy lenses?

No - no need to worry about that, Ken. The Q-mount is Pentax's entry into the compact, mirrorless camera market. It's a whole different camera category than their digital SLRs.
  • 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
    Photo-John
    Sensor Size
    I agree with you, to some extent on this, Anbesol. The small sensor size is the key factor with the new camera. Here's my article about the new Pentax Q:

New Pentax Q Interchangeable Lens Camera System >>

I'm not judging it like you are, though. I think there will be people who want the new camera. I just wonder how many. It's an interesting gamble on the part of Pentax.
  • 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
    Transit
    yes don't panic...
    The Japanese market is where this is pitched
    Pity their economy is etc
  • 06-26-2011, 05:18 PM
    Anbesol
    I am having most of my doubts due to its steep starting price. The E-PL1 is going for $400 now, half what the Q is being released for.

I think the only way it could find its market space is by undercutting its competition on price. But, hopefully for Pentax I'm wrong.
  • 06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
    mwfanelli2
    This reminds me of the really old 110 film camera Pentax produced. It was a beautiful interchangeable lens system. But the small film size insured that it failed no matter how good Pentax made the system.

I wonder, is this history repeating itself?