Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax K-5 DSLR Opinions

I am a relatively advanced SLR amateur, primarily from the film days. My wife now want a DSLR (much to my approval). I don't take enough pictures to warrant a camera of my own, but if I'm going to spend the cash on a nicer DSLR, I want to get one that will meet the demands of the photography I do get involved in. I had been looking at an FX format Nikon D700. My wife has always been partial to Pentax cameras, and we've had good luck with them. We visited a local camera shop and I saw the Pentax DLRs. I looked at the K-5. I like the 1080p HD recording capability, the sensor resolution and the feel of the camera. I know the camera will do everything my wife will want it to do. I also think I'll manage.

Does anyone here have any opinions on this camera? Any suggestions about lenses are alos welcome. I would rather get one really nice lens an a lower quality one. The camera shop guy mentioned Sigma lenses are pretty nice. I like to get something like a 50-150 zoom.

Thanks, in advance.

Greg Wilkerson

Light and Shadow Samurai

Re: Pentax K-5 DSLR Opinions

Greg,

I shoot the Pentax K7 which has the same form factor/body as the K5. The K5 has some improvements that I am looking forward to, such as 7fps shutter and 51,200 iso. I am very happy with the camera. I shoot some landscapes, weddings, events, concerts, and lots of models. I can't really imagine needing more than the K5 offers.

It is a crop factor sensor, and that doesn't really bother me.

I have a couple of lenses that I love. Two of them are Pentax lenses. I have the 50mm F1.4 and the 50-135mm F2.8 The bokeh on the 50mm F1.4 is a little rough. I kinda like it, but there are other lenses that do better including the Sigma. I believe the Pentax 55mm F1.4 has a smoother bokeh.

I can't tell you how much I love the 50-135. Its performance is smooth, and with the crop factor it functions much like an 80-200 would on a full frame. Soft smooth bokeh.
    I have the 18-55mm kit lens still, but rarely use it. I have the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG Macro lens and it has seen heavy use from me.

I think the better Sigma lenses are a great option, although me next couple of lenses will most likely be Pentax lenses.

Best wishes with your purchase.

This entire set was done with the 50-135 http://http://www.sparky.cc/People/M...12559546_wdHST

Tom
    Sparky
    Servant of Light and Shadow

Re: Pentax K-5 DSLR Opinions

I love my K-5, which I acquired early this year. Virtually everything about it is an improvement over my K20D, except that I find it a tad too small for my large hands. But I got used to the size, and I could affix a battery grip if I wanted. IQ is superb, and DR is also. Ditto for low noise and high ISO performance. Great camera.

Thread Information