Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

purple glow K200

What's causing this purple glow? never saw it in my 35mm or my wifes p&s Nikon.
    Is there a setting in the camera that I can set to cure this without messing up other colors? I'm not to good at PP. Things wind up looking like a cartoon or a velvet Elvis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails purple glow K200-imgp0134r.jpg  
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: purple glow K200

Hi snoid...I've gotten this sometimes myself and am not sure exactly what causes it. I have cured it by backing down the exposure and brightness. For me it always happened when the lighting was varied on the flower. But, I'm still a novice at a lot of this so hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks Ken,
    It was in mixed lighting. Seems it turned the bright area purple and it's only affected the blue color. pulling the Ev I get. Where is the brightness setting? Seems I remember a setting for things like vivid.
    Give it a few tries.
    --Tally Hall--

Pentax Forum Moderator

I can't help you there...I have the *ist DL whose settings are different. Mine is in the main menu. I think Javier was eluding to it in your other post.
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Looks like oversaturation. If you shoot RAW you'll be able to easily correct it after you shoot. If you're shooting JPEG, you should turn down the in-camera saturation. However, my guess is that there was some of that color on the flowers and you just didn't notice it until you looked at the photos. I think you should consider turning down the in-camera saturation. But I would also take another look at the flowers to see if that color is actually there.
    Photo-John

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Saturation correction should be a part of your menu control tools folder. Look in there.

Also the aberration you experienced, as it has happened to me with all of the Pentax DSLRs I've owned, is often due to sensor overload due to an overexposure, a color burn out that does it's best to fill in the blanks of the color that was there but is unrecordable. When it happens to me it's because of a hot moving spot light at a concert has unexpectedly swung into my face. Consider the sun the same thing and try bracketing your exposure until you find a combination that works or move on to a clump of flowers with more even lighting.

Good luck!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Hello, Actually there is a setting for this.
    The default settings on the K200D are as you noticed ''vivid colors''. This setting when alone will have the tendency to over saturate the image. If you would would like a more natual setting go into the menu and set the camera to ''natural'' ..

What I have done that seems to work ok for me, is this.
    When shooting people. I set the camera to natural mode, 0 saturation, 0 contrast, +2 sharpness.
    When shooting wildife or anything other than people, I set it to bright mode (vivid) -1 saturation, 0 contrast and +2 sharpness.

What type of lens are you using?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

thanks for all of your sugestions.
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner, been busy.
    I tend to think it's a combination of varied light and sensor overload.
    histogram shows a spike of clipping on the right side. gonna have to remember there's a computer inside that's running a program.
    So many menus, so many adjustments. I think I've found them all now just have to learn how to adjust them for what I'm trying to do.
    Thanks again for your interest. I may not see that flower again untill next spring, so at least I have a little time.
    BTW. jgredline, I'm still using the kit lens 18-55. Hoping to have a prime macro by the end of the month. Leaning towards the 90mm tamron. any opinion on that lens?
    Give it a few tries.
    --Tally Hall--

I have the Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro and love it. It is a great lens.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thanks for the opinion jgredline. I have been very impressed with your wildlife and outdoor shots. So I respect your opinion on lenses.
    Give it a few tries.
    --Tally Hall--

Quote Originally Posted by snoid
    Thanks for the opinion jgredline. I have been very impressed with your wildlife and outdoor shots. So I respect your opinion on lenses.
    Thank you!. I appreciate the kind words.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Question Re: purple glow K200

Hello Everyone!
    My name is Alejandro Oreamuno, I live in San Jose, Costa Rica, and I joined your forum, looking for more information. I started in photography around 40 years ago, and worked at several newspapers doing sports photography. At the same time I did some social activities like weddings, kids photos and birthday parties as well. I had several cameras, starting with a Leica Flex from late 40's, had a Rolleiflex (large format, using 220 film) from early 30's, a Yashica Mat and finally ended with a Pentax camera. That camera totally broke down and I had to buy a K1000 camera to continue using the lenses. I have my favorite one, which is a Pentax 50mm 1:1.4 lens, a 28mm, a 70-210mm, a 110mm and a 210mm. I'm looking for a digital camera where I can still use these lenses. I read that the K20/K200 Pentax cameras accept any lens ever fabricated by Pentax. Would they work with that camera?

Any inputs?

Thanks guys!

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

Yes, they will work with the K200/K20. You will need to buy a screw adapter, but there are plenty of these floating around on the net. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheap.

As for what camera, it has to be the K20 :wink5:
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Alex and Welcome to PR and especially the Pentax forum. I'm not exactly sure what those lenses are, but if they are K mount lenses, they should fit without any adapters. If they are screw mount lenses, then you'll need the adapters. The only problem with using historical lenses is that you won't be able to use some of the auto features like autofocus, etc. and there are certain settings that you'll have to make on your camera to make them work properly. Otherwords, almost all Pentax historical lenses fit the modern digital SLRs.
    In closing, with your experience, sounds like you will be a great addition to helping us all learn in our journey on the path to improving our photography, and I hope the we will be able to help you as well.
    I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

The K1000 has a K mount adapter, so you won't need any adapters.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Thread Information