Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Problem with Pentax ist DL

My caamera had been working well until last week. When I take a picture I only fw black screen (no Photo) I have updated the firmware from 1.00 to 1.03, all the settings show up on the screen. the lens focuses, I can change settings and have gone through the menus and have reset where the camer gives you that option,the flash functions when it is suppose to, changed batteries, put a new SD card and formated it with the camera, all screens show as I have taken a photo but as you scroll through the photos they all show up black, have checked the memory card on the computer and each photo on the card shows up as black. Anybody have any ideas what to try next?

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Problem with Pentax ist DL

Hi DCruz...First of all, Welcome to PR. I wish the circumstances were different. I'm going to ask a couple of "dumb" questions as I'm pretty much a novice at this myself.
    First, have you tried a different lens? Maybe your aperture is not functioning.
    Second, have you recently dropped the camera, maybe jamming the mirror or jostleing a couple of components?
    Just a couple of ideas. I'm sure some of our more experienced people will jump in here shortly and give you a hand.
    Please update us if you find out what is going on. I also have a DL and would be interested in what caused your problem.
    Good luck.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I do not have any other lenses for this camera. I got the camera back in November and it worked just fine up until about a month or two ago. I did check the lens by taking if off of the camera and manually changing the aperature and it looked fine that way. I also check the mirror movement while I had the lens off the camera and hitting the button to take pictures and the mirror moved just fine.

The camera has not been dropped and I keep it in a camera case when I am not using it.

Pentax Forum Moderator

hmmm...if you have a camera store nearby that has Pentax lenses. Ask them if you can try one out. Take a couple of pics and then check them to see if anything happens..after that, all I can think of is to send it to an authorized repair center.
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I am also facing same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953 View Post
    hmmm...if you have a camera store nearby that has Pentax lenses. Ask them if you can try one out. Take a couple of pics and then check them to see if anything happens..after that, all I can think of is to send it to an authorized repair center.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Andrew...Sorry to hear that. Since no one jumped to add anything to my suggestions, I can only assume that they were good. So I guess go through the procedure I outlined.
    Since we haven't heard back from dcruz, I don't know what his outcome was.
    Please, if you discover what is causing this, let us know so we can post what it is and maybe how to get it fixed.
    Second, welcome to PR. I like to think we have the best photography site on the web. Our users are very friendly and very knowledgeable. We have everyone from total novices to Professional (paid) photographers and all are willing to empart their knowledge to anyone who asks.
    I would like to see some of your photography if you feel comfortable posting some. You can post here in the forum, or any forum that is appropriate, or we have a photo gallery where you can store and share your photos. We also have a nice Reviews section so you can check out any gear you are thinking about purchasing.
    Good luck with your camera and feel free to ask more questions, anytime.
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

I have the same black screen and have done all things listed here including trying different lenses. What is the next step?

Thread Information