Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax steps out of MP war

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...-war-20090323/

Seems like a good idea, but I think it was inevitable for Pentax.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Pentax steps out of MP war

It seems to me at the moment technical innovations in most companies has up to now been coupled with an increase in pixel count. Probably just because of the "mine's bigger then yours" marketing aspect of the megapixel race.

I think I would be happy with better pixels instead of more of them.
    The problem would be how to market and sell that.

I suspect that's what's behind the improved software features in cameras at PMA.
    Intelligent this, smart that, face memory recognition -not just detection, multi-image stacking and averaging, automatic panoramas (just pan the camera), in-camera editing and multi-image composition ... it gives lots of marketing bullet points.

And if at the same time the pixels get better, I'm all for it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I agree Paul, no complaints from me. I'm still using a K100DS, and it suits me just fine!

There are plenty of areas in which Pentax could improve with their camera's, increased FPS and better AF, esp in low light!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

danic,

I agree with you about the FPS and sensor. Pentax has a year with me to introduced a comparable body to the D3.
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

What I read on other forums, some right from the horses mouth. Pentax will be coming out with a medium format camera in the future. They have a picture of what the outside of the camera will look like. actually a mock up. They already have a film medium format camera and they are only going to make only so many more and then discontinue it. The new digital medium format camera will be able to use previous lenses.

The new sensor will be 30 or 50 meg a pixal ? However grab you pocket book. The cameras they will be competing against run between $30 and $50 thousand. It is not yet determined what Pentax price will be. One article,manufactures price for just the sensor about $3500

I won't be running out and buying one.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

From what I have read, they are looking at keeping the price to below $10,000 USD for just the body. They are also releasing a new lenses to go with it.

I think the model is 645D?

Pentax have manufactured the mount so older MF lenses will be able to be fitted to the new body, as per the K mount with DSLR/SLR's.

Great news for Pentax though. It's about time they did something like this.
    danic

RedBubble

Thread Information