Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Have the lenses, need a digital body

Hello from CT's beautiful flooded vacation shoreline. I have a Pentax PZ-1p with an SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom and an FA 100-300 Zoom. I'm a pretty casual photographer, and broke. Can anyone recommend a Pentax digital body that will accept these lenses?

Thanks!

Bart Brown

Re: Have the lenses, need a digital body

Quote Originally Posted by bartbrn
    Hello from CT's beautiful flooded vacation shoreline. I have a Pentax PZ-1p with an SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom and an FA 100-300 Zoom. I'm a pretty casual photographer, and broke. Can anyone recommend a Pentax digital body that will accept these lenses?

Thanks!

Bart Brown
    As far as I know, any Pentax DSLR will accept those lenses. In fact, I'm pretty sure any Pentax DSLR will accept every Pentax lens ever made, though some models require an inexpensive adapter ring. Some won't AF, but will meter and otherwise work well.

If you have a limited budget for a DSLR, how about skipping the new models and getting an older, pre-used one?

*ist D series cameras can be had for under $300CAD nowadays, and recently I saw a K100D for $250CAD. Craigslist is a good place, and local photo stores often carry lots of pre-used equipment.

I currently shoot with a pre-used *ist D---its an awesome camera!

Thanks for the input! Considering the price of even a used *ist D at 6MP, would I be better off looking for a K2000, at 10MP?

Thanks again

Bart

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Bart and welcome to PR...
    Pretty much, anything over 6mp will do you fine, so it's going to depend on your finances. Naturally, if you can afford a K7 body, go for it, but if you can only afford an *ist DL, both of mine suit me just fine, and right now are probably very reasonable in price. So, my best advice is to purchase what you can afford. But remember, even going back to the *ist's will still give you most of everything you are looking for in a starter prosumer DSLR!!
    Again, welcome to PR and the Pentax Forum. Let us know what you come up with!!! There are plenty of us that can help you learn anything that you purchase!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Rookie

A good place to watch is the Pentax Forum Marketplace.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...s-marketplace/
    CAMERA'S;
    K7, K100d, K1000
    LENSES:
    TAMRON 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II
    TAMRON SP 17-50/2.8 Di II & AF 1.4X MC4 TC
    SIGMA EX 100-300/4 APO DG
    SIGMA EX 105/2.8 DG Macro
    SIGMA EX 10-20/4_5.6 DG
    D-BG4 Battery Grip
    Metz 58 AF-1 Flash
    CACTUS Wireless V4 Trigger
    Feisol CT-3441T CF Tripod & Photo Clam PC-33NS Head

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. I've decided to sell a Heuer Autavia chronograph I've had for 40 years (and haven't worn in 30), and use the proceeds to get a K10D. While I'd be delighted with a K7, I just can't justify (yet!) the $1300 or so a body alone would cost. Anyone know when the K7s are going to arrive in the US? I imagine there will be a number of K10s on the market when the K7s show up. Thanks for the link to the forum marketplace -- I'll be watching with great interest!

My main interest in photography has for many years been vintage racing cars. I live about 2 hours from Lime Rock, and grew up 40 miles from Watkins Glen, which I started visiting in 1964, at the age of 16. No spring chicken! I'm going to keep the PZ-1 for B&W and re-build my darkroom. I love digital for color (many years of Photoshop work), but I also love sniffin' those chemicals, and greatly enjoy the multitudinous frustrations and rare joys of printmaking. I'm delighted I found this forum.

Thanks again!

Bart Brown

Pentax Forum Moderator

K7 is in US

Quote Originally Posted by bartbrn
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. I've decided to sell a Heuer Autavia chronograph I've had for 40 years (and haven't worn in 30), and use the proceeds to get a K10D. While I'd be delighted with a K7, I just can't justify (yet!) the $1300 or so a body alone would cost. Anyone know when the K7s are going to arrive in the US? I imagine there will be a number of K10s on the market when the K7s show up. Thanks for the link to the forum marketplace -- I'll be watching with great interest!

Bart Brown
    Hi Bart...I just did some surfing and discovered the the K7 is now being sold in the US I found it at B&H and at the Pentax store. Both say they are in stock and ready for shipping! Yeah, the $1300 body only price is a bit steep, but probably well worth it!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information