Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax K7 Digital SLR Announcement And Press Release

I've posted a short article on the new Pentax K7 along with photos and the official Pentax press release and "Fact Sheet." This camera looks awesome. Seriously. I hope pentax owners think it was worth the wait. This is one I can't wait to play with. We never got our hands on a K20D so it's been a while since I've been able to use the best Pentax has to offer. I really like that it has a built-in level. The Olympus E-3 has one and I found I used it all the time.

Anyway, on with it:

Pentax K7 Digital SLR Announcement >>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax K7 Digital SLR Announcement And Press Release-pentax-k7-front.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Pentax K7 Digital SLR Announcement And Press Release

You beat me to it PJ! I can't wait either. The fiance has agreed (sort of ) to let me buy a new DSLR. Now, I'm tossing up between K20D and K7. It's all about the money!!!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Went to Pentax site to look at the official specks. They were listening to what a lot of users wanted. I have the k10d and for my use I didn't see the need to up grade to the K20d. Now the K7 that I will have to think about. One of features I like is the ability to shoot video. Saves carrying both on a trip. Now I know video isn't everyone cup of tea but with image stableization and good lens ( some thing lacking on most consumer video cameras) this opens up a whole new world. At a certain point the price will drop and I am in. I won't get rid of the K10d but add another camera. I hate changing lens. The only down side I see is the camera is smaller and lighter. I have large hands and with the battery grip I like the heft.
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Pentax Forum Moderator

Kim and I are definitely discussing this one seriously...as with all of us...funds are an important issue...but...we're talking about going in the hole!!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax K7 Video Shooting

Smaller and lighter is always a plus for me. It means I can pack more gear in the backcountry on my bike or skis.

Don't be too quick to jump on the K7 for video. So far none of the available digital SLRs with video can use auto focus during video capture. I noticed that the Pentax release didn't say anything about focusing for video. So I assume you'll have to manually focus when shooting video. That's ok for planned shots where your subject doesn't move much. But try shooting a video of an active kid or a pet with only manual focus. I'll tell you from experience (Canon EOS 5D Mk II and Nikon D5000), you're going to get a lot of out-of-focus footage. Bottom line - for most consumers, the DSLR video isn't quite there yet. Once they get auto focus sorted out, it will be great.
    Photo-John

Impressive! This is a great step for Pentax.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

I would rather have seen the addition of a full frame camera.
    Pentax K10D w/battery grip
    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5,6 EX DC, Pentax smc P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - Pentax DA 50mm f/1.4 - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro -Pentax AF 540 FGZ - Gary Fong "Lightshpere" (cloud & clear)

www.johnrender.com

MF User

Quote Originally Posted by Snapac
    I would rather have seen the addition of a full frame camera.
    I would imagine this is in the works. I wouldnt be surprised to see a FF Pentax sometime after the New Year.

I believe they are working on the K30D right now. Lets see what happens.

Thread Information