Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Oh...another lens thread.

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've been here, but I'm still a Pentax user! I've been slowly building my Pentax kit -- and by that I mean I've purchased the battery grip. I was previously a Canon guy, so the change is a slow progression. I'm still using the K10D kit lens.

Either way:

I am traveling to the Middle East this summer (Jordan, Syria, Egypt -- Iraqi border). I will be shooting street (or rather natural light portraiture :thumbsup: ) and landscape, I suppose. I will be visiting displaced-persons camps and just doing a lot of travel photography. The conditions can perhaps be a little rough at times which is one of the reasons I went for the K10D over anything in my price range from Canon or Nikon.

On that note, I've been eyeballing two lenses. The first is a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7. I hear the IQ is outstanding, and a solid build. The second lens is the Tammy 28-75mm 2.8 -- which I hear is a must for the Pentax-users arsenal. However, before dropping $350, I want to make sure that this wouldn't be better spent elsewhere for my intentions. The biggest complaint against the Tamron I've heard has been related to build quality -- should this matter to me?

The range is fine for my photojournalistic intentions, and I really like the f2.8 aspect. But what else should I be considering? What will get the job done and give me a fairly durable build? I'd ideally like a price near that of the Tamron, but I could go a bit higher if needed.

Jared

Edit: my limited research has led me to...

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8
    Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    Last edited by Pose; 05-11-2008 at 06:01 AM.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: Oh...another lens thread.

I would go for the Tamron 28-75F/2.8
    I have found the build quality to be better than good. I have not heard anyone ever complain about this.. Consider also the 18-250mm super zoom. It does not behave like a super zoom. It is pretty sharp through out.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

The Tamron 28-75 is certainly at the top of the list, with the 17-50 coming second.

The majority of the build quality issues were from reviews on amazon.com. I've never held the lens -- although perhaps I should look around locally in order to try it out.

Thanks

Bought the Tamron 28-75 and a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7.

Good for you...I also hear that the M-50 1.7 at 2.0 and up is extremely sharp...I have the FA 50/1.4 and found that to be at its best at 2.0 and above as well...As for the Tammy from wide open straight through is pretty darn sharp.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Hi,
    hey good ideal to travel to the middle east, I will also travel to these countries in summer. Maybe we will meet there

I am wondering about the dense of the lenses. I am looking for a super zoom lense. I read that the sigma lenses are not dense so dust can get into the lense and through this way also into the camera. How are the ones from Tamron and Pentax?

I can't decide between the Tamron 18-250 and Pentax 18-250. Did one of you test them? I checked amazon.com and saw that they are around the same price, so price is not an argument for me. In general I am looking for a standard zoom lense for trips. Do you have another recommendation?

@jgredline: Your pics are great and I enjoy them a lot.

thx Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by schdaefan

I can't decide between the Tamron 18-250 and Pentax 18-250. Did one of you test them? I checked amazon.com and saw that they are around the same price, so price is not an argument for me. In general I am looking for a standard zoom lense for trips. Do you have another recommendation?
    Both Lenses are exactly the same. Tamron makes those for pentax. I have the Tamron version and IMO is the best super zoom out there for pentax.

@jgredline: Your pics are great and I enjoy them a lot.

thx Stefan
    Thank you
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Here are a couple of examples with the Tamron 18-250mm super zoom.

εὐχαριστέω σύ

Thread Information