Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: Old Newbie

Old Newbie

After basically giving up on 35mm over the cost of film, I got me a K200D as a retirement gift a few weeks ago. Mulled over a D60 Nikon......nice, but not enough settings. IE: no bracketing and an Xsi, too gimickey. Both nice cameras to be sure. I just found my K200 a better fit. Got the 18X55 kit lens with it and the 75x300 pentax as a present. I've been lurking here for a bit and gathering knowedge and inspiration. So thank you http://forums.photographyreview.com/...lies/smile.gif
    Just been practicing with the camera so far, mostly flowers and my cats. As summer is just hitting it's pace here in Michigan, I hope to get out and about more. I need to learn the rules of posting a Jpeg before I can ask for critiques. Took me a while to get a decent avatar:idhttp://forums.photographyreview.com/images/smilies/idea.gif.
    Lots of software I just mostly suck at it.
    Anyway I'm in awe of some of the pics I've see posted here and I hope to be around for a while................................PENTAX 4ever!

Re: Old Newbie

Welcome, You have great camera and if your like me there is a learning curve. This is the place for a lot of helpful information.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, definite learning curve and not just the camera. Software too is creating it's own issues. First time out with the camera used AV and the cameras defaults....so Jpgs. I've sinced switched over to PEF RAW.
    My main software is ACDSee 10 and Corel PhotoPaint. Of course I also have Gimp, but find it quirkier. So here comes my first attempt at posting here.
    I found that resizing took away a lot of sharpness, but I was going for composition and color anyway.
    let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Newbie-imgp0046.jpg  

Pentax Forum Moderator

welcome snoid...You're definitely at the right place for learning. However, it looks like you are going to be doing as much teaching by the looks of your photo. I love this shot, the bokeh is awesome. Obviously, your photo skills are there, just going to need a few technical skills on the camera. Have a great time with your camera.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Snoid, Welcome aboard!!!
    Cool Avatar as well.
    That image indeed does show you know what your doing.
    Enjoy your stay here.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thanks for the encouragement
    The avatar is a crop of a picture me taken after I left the Detroit art festival last year.
    I let this performance group from Spain make me up that way. it was great fun! Forgot to bring my wifes p&s Nikon, so pic wasn't taken till many hours after the fact. Must have had to pose for hundreds of pics with people from all over the world that day. I had to bend the points in my hair over to fit back in the vannnnnn! LOL

Back to photos,
    Yes, I love the bokeh I can get with this lens. But it's not always so perfect.
    I'll try another post. Same basic composition, but it is the play of light and shadow on the subject in this one that made me stop and get the shot.
    If you look at the brightest highlight at the right of the flowers you gan clearly see the shape of the apeture. Must have six blades.
    Any one know if there is quick aperutre preview on this camera (K200D)?
    I shoot a lot of hand holds and not sure if I want use the preview function on the LCD.
    Also, in my resisizes I can see a lot of aliasing. Is there a software solution to minimize it without losing even more sharpness?
    PS Did I really misspell apeture. Or am I turning French?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Newbie-imgp0054rr.jpg  
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Thread Information