Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: repair advice

repair advice

ok, I just dropped my camera. I'm really upset with myself but the point is mute.

the clear lens filter is busted but it dented in on the side. the lens underneath appears to be unharmed. but because it is dented in, it seems the treads are off and it won't budge. Anyone have any idea of how to get it off or who to send it to.

Please help. Did I mention I'm really mad at myself

i posted this on the general section but decided this might be more appropriate since it is a pentax k100

Re: repair advice

Have you tried a set of filter wrenches? Most camera shops will carry them.
    As long as the lens itself is ok, that should do the trick.
    If not. Find someone with, or buy a dremel moto tool. to carefuly cut it off.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Pentax Forum Moderator

It would be wise to take it to a camera repair shop to have it removed so as not to screw up the threads. Make sure they are reputable so that if they do screw them up, they will make it right. If you don't have a repair shop in your area, it might be worth it to ship it to pentax and have them do it right and check out the lense as there are parts inside that can't be seen that could have come loose. Pentax lenses are pretty tough. I just bounced my camera and 50-200 lense off the top of my van at 60 mph and like you, only dented the filter and broke loose something on the inside, but the lenses themselves seem fine.
    Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

First welcome to PR.
    Secondly, do u have another camera in which you can shoot an image so we can better see the damage?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

Wow, I missed that, thanx for catching it Javier...

Jen, I apologize for not Welcoming you to our little heaven on earth. I was more interested in ensuring you were getting as much information as possible to get your lens fixed and didn't notice that you had just joined our little family.

Please feel free to ask for help on anything you think we can help with.

Again, Welcome to PR and the Pentax Forum
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Unhappy Re: repair advice

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I contacted the Camera store I bought it from and talked to the guy. he acted like this sort of thing happens all the time and told me to mail it to him and he would look at it and call me. Here are a few pictures of it. Go ahead give me your opinion. Even if it might hurt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails repair advice-broke-lens-005.jpg   repair advice-broke-lens-006.jpg   repair advice-broke-lens-007.jpg   repair advice-broke-lens-008.jpg  

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Yep, seen that before and you should thank God you had that filter on. If it where me, I would put a channel lock or large pliers and remove the filter and test the lens. That particular lens you have is a pretty durable lens. I would be surprised if it did not work properly.
    It's not a macro, so even if it has a few speckles on the front element, it will still work right. Give it a try.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

good to know. i took a couple of pics right after it happened and they were clear. I hoping they stay that way after I get the filter off.

the worst part about it is, my daughter 5th b-day party is this weekend and this is my favorite lens. But I'll make it fine

Don't they make these anymore?
    Had to get them years ago, when I got a filter stuck on my telephoto. Worked like a charm.
    Needed 2 so I could hold the lens barrel firm without twisting it. They're made of plastic so they won't mar anything.
    I would be very careful around a lens with pliers.
    If you can't find them anywhere. leave me a message and I'll mail 'em to ya. Just mail 'em back when you're done:thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails repair advice-imgp1098r.jpg  
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Thread Information