Pentax K-x with old lens

Printable View

• 05-21-2010, 12:32 AM
    LightBright
    Pentax K-x with old lens
    I am about to purchase this adapter to allow me to use my old Pentax 50mm f1.4 m42 screw-mount lens on my Pentax K-X. I would appreciate it if someone can confirm that this is the right adapter for my camera and lens set-up. I am pretty sure this is the right adapter, but just want to be sure, since there are many different companies making there own versions. http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120

Thanks
  • 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
    ken1953
    Re: Pentax K-x with old lens
    Hi LightBright/Sammy - I read the description and it appears to me to be the correct adapter. I assume the K-X uses the Bayonet like most other modeern Pentax's.
    Good luck with it and please write a review about your experience with it and the K-X so others considering a similar option can have something to go on.
    I'm still pretty much a novice myself when it comes to optional equipment. I learn from what I read here.
    And please, post some photos here so we can see the results of the combination.
    Hope this helps a little.
  • 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM
    LightBright
    Thank you Ken for all your help. I just ordered it and it should be here around next week. I will post a review of the camera and lens combo on PR. I cant wait till it gets here! The 18-55mm kit lens is loud, big and the build quality isn't very good. I'm sure a old manual lens on a new camera is just what I need :) With the high iso low noise of the K-x and a fast 50 1.4 prime, It will definitely be my low light kit that's for sure.
  • 05-25-2010, 02:35 AM
    Transit
    LightBright, I was amazed a few years back to hear Pentax DSLR would mount my old Super Takumar 50/1.4 from my faithful Spotmatic :)
    I bought the k100D and have never looked back.

You need to turn on 'enable aperture ring' in the menu somewhere
    Pete
  • 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
    LightBright
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Transit
    LightBright, I was amazed a few years back to hear Pentax DSLR would mount my old Super Takumar 50/1.4 from my faithful Spotmatic :)
    I bought the k100D and have never looked back.

You need to turn on 'enable aperture ring' in the menu somewhere
    Pete

Ya, actually I got the 50 1.4 from my first manual camera which is also the Spotmatic!
    The suspense is killing me right now, I never would've thought I would get so excited to get a lens adapter. I hope Ups comes by tomorrow!!!!
  • 05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
    Transit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LightBright
    Ya, actually I got the 50 1.4 from my first manual camera which is also the Spotmatic!
    The suspense is killing me right now, I never would've thought I would get so excited to get a lens adapter. I hope Ups comes by tomorrow!!!!

I've got several of them mounted permanently. On the 50/1.4, an old 135/3.5 preset and the excellent 105/2.8. I just very happily scored a K mount 105/2.8 so the M42 one will be sold.
    The aftermarket adapters work fine too. Just as long as they are flush fitting with no flange.

I like using Av with the old Takumars. . Focus wide open then stop down using a/m lever and shoot.
    have fun
    Pete
  • 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM
    Transit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LightBright
    I'm sure a old manual lens on a new camera is just what I need :)

Expect people to start asking 'if it is a digital camera ?' the old glass sure confuses . Lots of people started with Spotmatics and K1000s and go all misty when they see a Takumar
  • 05-29-2010, 08:35 PM
    LightBright
    The adapter came 2 days ago. When I attached the 50mm f1.4 lens, my K-x changed dramatically. It looks way better than it did before and the lens adds a bit of extra welcomed weight to the camera and gave it a very nice feel to it. The images are sharp and wonderful, Ill post some images once I get some good shots out of it. Im thinking about getting m42 adapters for my sony and Olympus cameras as well, who knows i might even ditch new auto focus lenses and just use manual lol. Taking pictures with a dedicated manual lens makes photography lots more fun.
  • 05-30-2010, 11:18 PM
    LightBright
    Here are some pics of the set-up. Pentax K-x with 50mm f1.4 takumar len and a induro tripod mount.

http://sammysoliman.smugmug.com/Othe...49_EqKHA-L.jpg

http://sammysoliman.smugmug.com/Othe...81_e2sj8-L.jpg

next to the digital is the spotmatic F

http://sammysoliman.smugmug.com/Othe...91_CZ8Mr-L.jpg

http://sammysoliman.smugmug.com/Othe...61_ELAWH-L.jpg

I'm working with the K-x's video mode, I hope to post some vids and stills from it by next week using this lens
  • 05-31-2010, 03:21 AM
    Greg McCary
    I just ordered an adapter so I can fit a Pentax 50mm f/2 onto my Oly E3.
  • 05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
    LightBright
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I just ordered an adapter so I can fit a Pentax 50mm f/2 onto my Oly E3.

Sweet! May I ask you where you ordered the adapter for the Olympus mount? I hope to get these adapters for all my cameras and some more
    m42 lenses before summer starts :)