Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax ist DL Help needed

I have just upgraded my compact digital camera from the Pentax Optio A 10 to the ist DL DSLR, mainly because I couldn't see the LCD screen (A10) in the daylight.The little compact A10 took nice shots but was way too slow to auto focus.
    Could someone tell me the best method (eg;Auto, Manual, Program, Tv Av) and settings for shooting photos with the ist DL. I have tried the Auto mode but found the colours too over saturated and the pictures were too bright. Also the flash is too intensive and bright, I have to use ACDSee Pro program each time to edit the pictures and auto- fix the exposure. With the A10 I never really had to edit the picture except for maybe a crop here and there.
    i know it will take practise to get use to a SLR again in fact I'm going out now to take some shots. Any help would be appreciated . Here in Australia they sell the Ist DL with a Sigma f3.5-f5.6,18-50 Zoom and a Tamron 80-200 zoom lense $A999.

Re: Pentax ist DL Help needed

I just bot this camera and I am very happy with it. I use the mode that has the smile face on it. I need to know what a good zoom lens is for this camera. Can you help? Thx,

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy3
    I just bot this camera and I am very happy with it. I use the mode that has the smile face on it. I need to know what a good zoom lens is for this camera. Can you help? Thx,

Wendy
    Is it the kit lens, Wendy? What do you want to do with the new lens and how much do you plan to spend? I don't want to suggest something way outside your budget. But for what it's worth, the first lens I'd buy would probably be the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.0. It's a much better lens than the 18-55mm kit lens, and it's a little bit wider. If you want to buy a longer, telephoto lens, then I'd look at something in the 70-200mm range. Good 70-200mm zoom lenses cost upward of $1000 dollars. So that's why knowing your budget is important. It's likely that what I consider good is way out of your range. And that's ok. Just let me know

Here's a link to the Pentax 16-45mm f/4.0 lens >>

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. There are lots of options. But we really need to know some more about what you're looking for.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Ross, My wife and I have had this camera for several months. I personally like the manual mode best, but as a beginner, it has taken me a while to get used to the manual settings. I have both the 18-55 mm kit lens and the SMCP DA 50-200mm ED lens. I mostly use the 50-200. Both I find to be good beginner lenses. As for the settings, my wife keeps hers in Automatic and she gets good pictures. We like ours a bit oversaturated so have no complaints in that department. However, you can go into the menu and adjust your saturation, contrast, etc. to your liking. As for the other settings, I've tried a few, but haven't been real satisfied with them. I did like some of the shots I got on fireworks setting on the fourth of July, but I did better with manual settings.
    I think once you get used to using this camera, you will discover it is extremely versatile. I'm still learning how to use it and discover something new every day.
    Good luck and if you have any more questions, I will do all I can to help you.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy3

Wendy
    Wendy, The smiley face is the "Normal" mode...whatever that means...hehe...As I mentioned to Ross...My wife keeps her's on Automatic (the Green stripe on ours), and gets very good results. As PJ mentions, it would help us to be able to help you better, to know what kinds of pictures you like to take. But, we will always do our best to help you out with any questions. The ist DL is a very good starter DSLR. In the 5 months I've had mine, I've shot about 25,000 photos. At this rate, I will probably need to get a new one by christmas. hehe...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information