Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

ME Super lenses - upgrade to Digital body?

Hi Folks,

My first post (just joined) and I'd like to pick the brains of other Pentax users please.

I have an old Pentax ME Super SLR with a good set of lenses I bought years ago... the whole set has been gathering dust due my travels (easier with a cheap digital) but now I'm settled I'd like to update the body to a digital model but use the older lenses...

I don't know what the type of mount is called but it has 3 extended flats which mate into the body and lock with a twist - is this the K-mount system as this section mentions?

Can anyone recommend a digital SLR body that will take these lenses? I don't mind what brand or features but I have a preference for those using SD storage cards. Budget is limited so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
    Bill

Re: ME Super lenses - upgrade to Digital body?

Hi,
    Yep that's the K mount.
    Those nice M lenses will mount all digital Pentax bodies
    The current bodies are the K-x and the higher featured K-7.
    The K-x has excellent low light performance.

If budget tight try, second hand K10D, K200D or more basic K100Ds.

All will stop down in manual mode.
    M lens stay wide open in Aperture priority.

have fun
    Pete

k100D some len

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi bilinkl and welcome to PR. As Transit has already informed you, your lenses should work fine with any of the digital pentax bodies. The only caution I can think of right now is that your lenses will probably not be able to take advantage of any of the "auto" functions, including autofocus, so you will have to use it as a "full" manual camera. But the quality of the old lenses usually makes it worth it!!!
    As for camera choices, not only does Pentax offer some great choices, but Samsung also made their cameras with the K-mount. I don't know their line, but know that you can find some nice cameras from what little I've heard.
    I personally use a Pentax *ist DL and have loved it since the first day I bought it. You could probably get one real cheap now. Great camera, sturdy, takes great photos and is very easy to operate and maneuver through the menus. I dropped one of mine (I have 2) off the top of my van at 60 miles an hour. Basically knocked it out of adjustment, chipped a small hole in the case where it slid on the pavement (road rash) and knocked the battery door off. Now that's tough!!!
    Anyway, I'm proud of my Pentax's and I would recommend any of them for your needs, but would also suggest to "buy the best one you can afford"!!! You won't be sorry!!!
    Good luck and keep us informed, please.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Your lenses will work fine but they won't magically become auto focus lenses on a new Pentax DSLR

One of the great things about Pentax is they're the only camera maker that has remained completely backwards compatible with their SLR optics.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Transit View Post
    Hi,
    Yep that's the K mount.
    Those nice M lenses will mount all digital Pentax bodies
    The current bodies are the K-x and the higher featured K-7.
    The K-x has excellent low light performance.

If budget tight try, second hand K10D, K200D or more basic K100Ds.

All will stop down in manual mode.
    M lens stay wide open in Aperture priority.

have fun
    Pete

k100D some len
    Him newbie just registered. Following the above question and answer. I am hopeing to buy a basic Pentax DSLR possibly K100D or an*ist..and to use my variety of older lenses.
    I do not understand the above remark" All will stop down in manual mode.
    M lens stay wide open in Aperture priority." could someone explain?
    also will my Penatx A series lenses work wih full automatic control? and my Pentax Auto-focus zoom (KAF?) also function with autofocus? on thes more basic DSLR cameras
    regards
    Chris

Someone who's more familiar with the Pentax digital SLRs will need to confirm this. But as I understand it, the Pentax lenses will work just fine with a new Pentax digital SLR body. They just won't add any functionality to your old lenses. In other words, a manual focus lens will not become an auto focus lens and a lens with a manual aperture ring with no "A" setting won't have an auto aperture and the aperture won't be controlled from the the camera's aperture dial.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by thehorologist View Post
    Him newbie just registered. Following the above question and answer. I am hopeing to buy a basic Pentax DSLR possibly K100D or an*ist..and to use my variety of older lenses.
    I do not understand the above remark" All will stop down in manual mode.
    M lens stay wide open in Aperture priority." could someone explain?
    also will my Penatx A series lenses work wih full automatic control? and my Pentax Auto-focus zoom (KAF?) also function with autofocus? on thes more basic DSLR cameras
    regards
    Chris
    Hi Chris
    In Aperture priority (Av) M lenses stay wide open all the time.
    They don't close the iris to the selected f stop on taking a picture.
    In Manual (M) they do close but you have to meter first. One button push.

Your A lenses will will close to the selected aperture correctly in Av

Pete
    K-5 some len

I shoot a K-x (and sometimes a rented K5) and moved up from a an old ME Super. Using old glass is pretty easy but there are a few things to know. First is a menu setting to "Allow use of aperture ring" (or something along those lines). This is off by default and needs to be turned on.
    For A lenses (that have an A setting on the aperture dial) will work fine in Av mode as long as you have the lens set to A.
    For M lenses I use manual mode and use the green button to meter. That will set my shutter speed to expose for what ISO/f-stop I have set. Easy and works well although I occasionally have to do a little ev adjustment on some lenses (some tend to under or over expose but it's usually consistent and therefore easy to compensate for).
    "Catch in focus" can be handy for MF lenses. What this does is not take the photo until you have focus lock. So you can press the shutter with your subject under one of the AF points and turn the focus ring. When the subject is in focus, the photo will be taken. This setting can also make it hard to get a shot if your subject doesn't fall under a AF point so keep that in mind.

I wonder why ppl bother to join a forum and ask a question only to never reappear...
    Maybe they go to the 'other forum' ?
    Pete
    K-5 some len

Thread Information