Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax *IST DL slow autofocus

Pentax *IST DL owners, does this camera autofocus slow in action situations with the kit lens. Please give your experience with this SLR. I like it and it's affordable for me.

thanks

Never enough Memory

Re: Pentax *IST DL slow autofocus

Have been wanting to go DSLR for the last couple of years, but could not swing it till now...

Bought the *ist DL w/ 28-80 and 70-300 AF Zoom Lens Kit from Cameta Camera on ebay.
    Have been playing around with it the past month and can say I am pleased with its preformance in Auto mode.

Having said that, at the last softball game I attended, I set the camera to Tv and shut off the AF. After playing with the ISO and the shutter speed, I was more than impressed with the performance of the camera, and the quality of the pictures......

My last camera was a Konica FT1, so I have never known anything but "hands on" for focus. So, I did not have any trouble "flipping the switch" to MF. The camera and lens preformed above my expectations, as did the continuous shooting mode.

Captured some lovely stop action slap bunts that will "enlighten" the coach .(helps if you keep your eyes open when you are trying to hit the ball!!!)

Enough rambling....when all is said and done, for the money, I am very pleased with my little gem....

My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Pentax Forum Moderator

For the most part, I am very happy with the DL...of course, I don't have anything to compare it with, so all I can say is, I really wish it were much faster. My AF does a lot of searching, especially in low light. I frequently just shut it off and switch to manual. I have really improved my focusing because of it. More like a fully manual camera much of the time. I rarely use anything but Full Manual. Some times what I'll do is to focus on a subject with AF than switch to Manual Focus and shoot manual for a while, then I'll switch back to AF to check myself, then back to manual. It's a learning thing for me.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information