Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: Newbie Intro

PamV

Smile Newbie Intro

Hi, my name is Pam and interested in the Pentax manual cameras. I was recently gifted with a K1000 and bought a ME Super that is pristine.

Can anyone guide me to an online source to learn about the manual camera functions and such, maybe, suggest a book or two... I take care of my elderly mom with dementia and she requires 24.7 supervision. So cannot get out much. I am totally in the dark about the cameras. I have played with digitals since 96, but just the very basics. I now want to learn more to improve my pics.

I started out doing photo reference for painting and pastels. A dear 90 year old friend gave me his K1000 and I recently has a golden opportunity to purchase a ME Super from original owner. It has been so nicely taken care of. I have the following lenses: ( don't know is they are good or bad, but they will have to do to learn on.) Tokina Sz-X 210 70-210 F4-5.6, Vivitar 28mm f2.8 , SMC Pentax-M 1:2 by Asahi Optical 50 mm F2, Super Cosina 35-135mm 1;3.5-4.5 MV Macro, .

II like to paint birds and wild life, and love to photo macro floral... and some painting. I want to do more zoom photography.

Let me know what additional lenses or things i will need and any suggestions for on line lessons or I can suggest I am in the Sacramento, Ca region for maybe an evening class.

If there is another area of the forum I need to be on please let me know. I am not to savy with the forums or hat to do with them. Please no flaming, I am just a beginner looking for a place to start with what I have.

I look forward to getting to know this forum better. The photo work i have seen is awesome especially the wild life. My dream.
    Thanks and have a nice day.
    PamV

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie Intro

Hi Pam, Welcome to PR and the Pentax Forum. You have come to the right forum for questions about your cameras. Many of our members either own or have owned older pentax film cameras. PR also has a forum specifically designed for questions about film photography. Here is the link http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=59 .
    Also, our Viewfinder Forum is a general room where many of our members hang out and are more than willing to answer any questions you may have. You may also want to showcase some of your works on many of our forums to help you improve your skills. Including here and those I've already mentioned, plus the Photo Critique, Nature and Wildlife, Monthly Project and many others.
    Just about everything I've learned has been here on PR. I began with a Kodak 3.0 mp point and shoot and now use a pentax *ist DL and occasionally use my daughters Nikon D50.
    Because of what I have learned from this forum alone, I have gone on to use my skills to photograph sporting events, have been hired to shoot anniversaries and have even had one of my pictures published in the newpaper.
    I mention this so that you'll know how helpful this site can and will be for you. So please feel free to ask us for help.
    Again, Welcome to PR and good luck. Please start posting soon.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

PamV

Ken, thank you for the welcome. Today I took the K1000 and the ME Super into Ritz Camera and had them inspected. They were determined to be in great condition. They said I had all the lenses I will need for a while. This particular Ritz is closing at the mall and joining an existing Rita across the street. They were clearencing a lot of items. I was able to pick up a Flash Unit, loads of film, a new camera bag, and tripod at up to 50% off.

So I picked up film in 100, 200, 400, and 800 speeds. At those prices I will be able to experiment for a while. They inspected my lenses and said all looked good.

I went to Barnes and Nobel and the local library to get some books on photography. I met a nice young lady who helped me at B & N and she is exclusive manual 35mm. She explained a few things for me, helped me pick a good book, and I asked if she would be interested in teaching me how to use the camera, for a fee of course. I am limited in being able to leave mom and have to hire caretakers to come in in my absence. She agreed to come to the house and I will help me. She has been shooting motorcycle races for a number of years. So I think I am on my way.

Thank you for the links and suggestions. I will have to read to see how to post photos, another new arena for me. I am sure I will get it figured out.

I figure that i can take pics inside and outside the house, and on the occasional picnic to the park we take mom to for now.
    Smiles, PamV

Welcome to the forum Pam. There are no dumb questions. Enjoy your journey in photography. Like Ken said we all have a lot to learn. It looks like you have a good start.

I took a class not in photograph but the instructor was a accomplished amateur photographer. Published in several magazines. Using one of his photographs in the course the subject came up. This was thirty five years ago but still true. If you only show one out of ten thousand photos you will be know as a great photographer. One out of a thousand very very good. and so on. Being selective is the point. While learning take lots of photos and learn your camera. Take notes so you know what you did right. Shoot what you like. This will show in your photos. Remember your mind is the most important tool not the camera.
    Good shooting

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Hi Pam and welcome !!
    I too shoot a K1OOO and an ME super.
    Here is a manual for the KOOO
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/m...n%20Manual.pdf
    and here is a manual for the ME SUPER.
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MESuper.pdf

You have two very fine cameras and I agree you are well set up with Lenses....I too am a rookie film shooter and if not for the great folks here, I would be lost. As ken suggested, check out the film forum.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi again Pam...as I said before, I'm not a film person, but I do know you have to store your film properly. If it's not going to be used right away. Check over at the film forum for proper storage. Also, there are several very easy ways to post a photo. When your ready, let us know and someone will be glad to help you post. You can post directly from your computer, from your gallery here on PR or from a hosting site. FYI, PR's gallery is free to it's members, of which you are now one.
    Your only limitation now is, do you have a scanner or good access to one? That will be necessary for you to digitize your photos.
    Although, not a recommendation, I take the digital photography course from NYIP (New York Institute of Photography) It has a real good section on putting your film into digital format. It also has some very nice chapters on digital photography which will also help out in your film photography skills since much of the terminology and skills are similar. The address is www.nyip.com . There are many others but this one was quite affordable and has been in my opinion very reputable and helpful.
    Finally, at the top of the page, you'll see our menu. There is a section called "Learn". Check out the lessons there. That's where I started. Very excellent resource.
    Have fun on your learning journey.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Welcome to the Pentax section!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Thread Information