Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

part for Pentax SP1000

I have an old Pentax SP1000 that has a corroded battery. If I replace the base it will probably be in perfect working order. Can't get the battery out at all since it has attached itself to the camera base. I need another base that doesn't have any issues like mine.

drg

Re: part for Pentax SP1000

Welcome to Photography Review.

You will probably have to buy a camera for parts (unless you have some local old time repair shop that has already stripped one) or just get a new (old, etc) camera. The corrosion can be cleaned out with solvents, but it will return unless all the contacts are replaced. It sounds (with the battery welded in) that the contacts themselves may be gone.

Depending where you are, someone here may have a specific suggestion as to a nearby repair shop that could redo everything for you. There are unfortunately fewer and fewer who know what they are doing.

The worst thing is when the battery compartments fail in the older cameras that it changes the whole system and the meter is going to need to be calibrated or you will need to check it against an external meter and adjust/bias the exposure accordingly.

The base plate, as I recall, is only one of about three pieces that will need to be cleaned/replaced when a battery corrodes to this degree. Hopefully it has not seeped through any of the rest of the camera. It didn't get wet or have condensation that accelerated the process did it? If you found this after the camera had been stored for some time, I would not get your hopes up to salvage the body. It may become the "spare" parts for a different body.

Best wishes and let us know how you come out!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Has'nt been wet. I have checked the Chattanooga area and can't find anyone who can do anything with it. I have been scouting E-Bay, but haven't found any that I'd be willing to pay a high price for as I've seen so far, so will wait and maybe one will show up eventually. Would really like to just fool around with the camera now to refresh myself on the workings and get into some digital stuff, but will probably have to wait until I retire in a few years when I have the time to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by artlady
    Has'nt been wet. I have checked the Chattanooga area and can't find anyone who can do anything with it. I have been scouting E-Bay, but haven't found any that I'd be willing to pay a high price for as I've seen so far, so will wait and maybe one will show up eventually. Would really like to just fool around with the camera now to refresh myself on the workings and get into some digital stuff, but will probably have to wait until I retire in a few years when I have the time to get into it.
    Get some dental probs, and pick away at the battery leakage. You should be able to free up the battery in a hour, taking your time. Once the battery is out use damp Q-tips to clean the battery compartment. Most of the time the battery leakage stays in the compartment. Use the dental probs to clean out the harden stuff around the battery termerals.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Here's the link to Classic camera, repair, parts,maintenance etc. You'll get what you want there, I bet.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...rd-topics.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I happen to have several dental tools that my dentist couldn't use any more that I use in my art classes for various things. I'll try them first and if that doesn't work will go to the suggested web site.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I found that carefully applying limescale remover on a cotton but cleans up the contacts in toys nicely. Since it's acidic it requires a lot of washing afterwards to remove everything to make sure it won't corrode. But since the original deposits are alkaline, it usually neutralises after a few rinses.

If you've got those tools then there's a good chance you can get the old battery out and see how bad things are.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information