Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Low Light Settings ?

I've used film for years.I can get nice shots with my old K1000.I can't explain what settings I use for different settings,I just seem to do it.
    I also have a Pentax K10.I've read everything I can find.But,I'm not a technical type so I get confused.I've played & played with this camera.But,I still don't get a lot of the settings.

My son-in-law has a band.I thought I would try to get some shots of the band rehearsing.They rehearse in a basement.The lighting isn't the greatest.Any suggestions for what settings to try on the K10?

Lenses I have:
    Pentax-A Zoom 1:4 70-210mm
    Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm
    [for the K10]- Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro
    [for K10]- Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL
    Also just got a hold of the following lenses,haven't checked to see if they really work well with the K10:
    Pentax-M 1:2 50mm
    not sure what this one is,it's marked: Gemini MC Auto,Zoom/Macro, 1:4.5 f=80-205mm

Cathy

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Low Light Settings ?

Hi Cathy, You're outside of my realm here, but I would think that we'd need a little more information here, such as how much light is available and is it flourescent or incandescent? Are you going to be using flash? Handheld or tripod?
    One trick I use since I'm not real good at this kind of thing, is to set my *istDL on auto and try a couple of practice shots and jot down the settings it used.
    I hope someone else can jump in here and help you a bit more. And good luck. Please post your results. We'd be real interested in seeing them.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Hi Cathy, You might try uping your ISO to around 400 or even 800 ISO and switch your f/stop to a lower f/stop like 2.8 or 5.6 and see what happens. I'm assuming your using a flash as well?

Regards- Erik Barnes

Hi Cathy, if you are not going to use flash then it is better to use Manual White Balance, it will give you correct image colors, much better than with AWB. Instruction is on page 125 of the K10D Operating Manual. I find doing it with the body cap cover the front of the lens always give me satisfied results.

Thread Information