• 09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
    warriorwolf69
    Need new lense for wifes camera
    Hello Folks,

Xmas/birthdays are coming up and my wife has bought a Pentax K-x camera and is now taking classes. From the nudging I will be buying a:

50mm prime lense
    some kind of shade that attaches to the lenses
    a light meter

I looked a the Pentax website and the only lense I see that I guess is the right one is

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-55mm-St.../dp/B001GAPHRE

a tad over my budget. Can I use other manufacture lenses on this camera? What do you folks recommend.

Its for Porterate taking I gather.

Sorry for being a noob
  • 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Need new lense for wifes camera
    The DA* is the low light professional grade lens.
    you might try these alternatives:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-..._FA_50mm_F1.4/
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-...mm_F2.8_Macro/

The f/1.4 version will be more expensive because it can be used in dim light, the f/2.8 version will probably do what is needed for portraiture.

The f/2.8 lens comes with a lens hood (or lens shade) in the box.
  • 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM
    ken1953
    Hi WW, and welcome to PR. Paul offers some nice alternatives. One thing he doesn't mention is that "yes" you can use different manufacturers such as Tamron and Sigma, et al. However, understand, with aftermarket lenses, you frequently get a hit and miss problem. Some are great, others are junk. So, do your research. The other thing, is to make sure that you purchase the right mount. These aftermarket cameras make lenses for all cameras and so you need to order one for Pentax and not, for example, Nikon or Canon as they are not interchangeable.

Another thing to ask you, is what kind of camera does your wife have? A digital, or a film camera? And, Which one?

Again, welcome and hope we can be of further assistance.
  • 09-30-2010, 07:00 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

my wife has bought a Pentax K-x camera
    So I assume it's the K-x digital.
  • 10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
    ken1953
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    So I assume it's the K-x digital.

Sheesh...I must have been asleep when I read that!!!! Yes...the K-x is digital!!!
    Sorry about that!!!
  • 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
    Tom Sparks
    Your wife has a nice camera. I have the 50mm 1.4 and it is a fine lens. It offers a nice bokeh, quick focusing auto-focus, and I don't think you can do better for under $250. While I do use lens hoods on my longer lenses and even on my 24-70, I have never used a hood on my fast fifty.

I have never used an external light meter and I'm sure I could learn some things with one, but with the instant feedback of the histogram in camera, I haven't felt a compelling need to get one yet.

Have you thought about getting a good tripod. By good, I mean do not waste your money buying a POS tripod under $150. They just don't do what they are supposed to do, which is to keep the camera still. A good set of legs and a good basic head will be at least $300 but worth it.
  • 10-02-2010, 04:33 AM
    ken1953
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sparks
    Have you thought about getting a good tripod. By good, I mean do not waste your money buying a POS tripod under $150. They just don't do what they are supposed to do, which is to keep the camera still. A good set of legs and a good basic head will be at least $300 but worth it.

Sorry Sparky, but I must disagree with you on the above statement slightly. Warrior Wolf, Sparky has a lot more experience than I do and maybe a bit more $$$ to spend, however, I can honestly say that I have a, IMHO, great $150 tripod. I will concede that it's not the best, but on a limited budget as I was when I purchased it a few years ago, it's been a gem. I think even Sparky may agree.

I have the SLIK PRO 700 w/Quick release head. It's rock steady and sturdy as all get out. When I bought mine, it was all metal, however, today, you can get them with the carbon fiber, which makes them much lighter, but still reasonably priced. As your finances improve, you can start getting into other gear, but for an excellent set of starter legs, something like this may be an option for you.

Again, sorry Tom...I knew that WW was on a limited income, so thought I'd offer a great alternative.
  • 10-04-2010, 07:11 AM
    warriorwolf69
    Thank you folks, Where is the best place to get one of the 50 lenses, I looked at Blacks here in Canada and they are over $500. I have a tripod, probably not the best, it was used for the videocamera.

I don't know what a historgram is, I will have to ask the wife..:) I just thought of the lightmeter because one of the course she is take has to do with light.
  • 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
    ken1953
    Hi WW...I have used B&H PhotoVideo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ , as have many of us on PR and they have an excellent reputation. Just a hint, you are going to pay a nice chunk of change for a "prime" lens.

A histogram is a pictoral representation of the light peaks and valleys of your shot. When every thing is perfect, it looks like a mountain...when not, the graph is to one side or the other and so it allows you to make adjustments. Most new digital cameras now come with this feature.

Good luck and hope we are helping.
  • 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
    Transit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorwolf69
    Thank you folks, Where is the best place to get one of the 50 lenses, I looked at Blacks here in Canada and they are over $500. I have a tripod, probably not the best, it was used for the videocamera.

Buy second hand :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorwolf69
    ...... I just thought of the lightmeter because one of the course she is take has to do with light.

very thoughtful of you :)
    The camera has a built in light meter so she should be right with that

Pete
  • 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
    fevbusch
    Warrior, I agree. The Pentax 50mm 1.4 is universally agreed to be the favorite lens out there. It's a good way to start. I assume you received the 18-55mm lens along with the
    kx camera. That's also a decent beginners zoom lens, and very inexpensive. Freddy
  • 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
    Transit
    50mmf2.0 starts at $30nz up to 50mm1.4 for a bit more :)
    My daughter is getting great shots with the 18-55 on her K-x
    Did you figure out the histogram warrior ? :)
    Pete
  • 12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
    Rick Clark
    I've been using a Slick U 212 for 30 years and is still a good tripod today. And the f1.4/50mm is a good lenses if you have the bucks for them, I love mine for indoor pictures but he might want to look into a 100mm for what his wife needs. Just my $.02 worth.
  • 12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
    teddyaditya
    you can try on amazon