• 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Lens focal length manual input
    I was wondering, say for example if I have a K200D + 100mm PENTAX-F MACRO lens + TAMRON 2X TC, would I be able to manually input the focal length as 200mm. Or does the manual input feature exclusively work with manual-focus-only lenses? :confused:

Also I would be interested with K20D, K2000D, etc., cameras that have "Shake-Reduction" built in. If someone who has either camera/s and an AF lens/es, are you able to manually input focal length... and it records in EXIF data?

I ask because one of the things which really irks me about my TAMRON 2X TC is that the focal length and maximum aperture change is not applied in EXIF data, and at least with a newer body I might be able to enter the correct focal length. This would help later on when trying to remember what gear I used for a particular shot.
  • 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM
    Ron Kruger
    Re: Lens focal length manual input
    Hey Alex,
    With my K20D and newer lenses, the camera automatically reads the focal length. With telephotos, it reads whatever length you have it twisted to and puts that info in the file.
    When you put any lens on it that is older or MF, and I believe most second-market lenses, it prompts you to enter the focal length.
    You can override the automatic focal settings, but I can't image why you would want to do that.
  • 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    Hey Alex,
    With my K20D and newer lenses, the camera automatically reads the focal length. With telephotos, it reads whatever length you have it twisted to and puts that info in the file.
    When you put any lens on it that is older or MF, and I believe most second-market lenses, it prompts you to enter the focal length.
    You can override the automatic focal settings, but I can't image why you would want to do that.

Thanks for the insight, Ron. :)

Quote:

You can override the automatic focal settings
    This is precisely what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if the newer lenses with mount contacts/AF-compatible would allow overrides.

Quote:

but I can't image why you would want to do that.
    Because like I mentioned, my 2x TC does not read the focal length change, neither in EXIF nor in the camera "info screen". (The magnifyed image is there, of course). On the *ist D, photos with the macro lens + TC still read as "100mm" in the EXIF. In reality it should be "200mm".
  • 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
    Ron Kruger
    Oh--that makes sense. "Set Focal Length" is the last item in the "Rec Mode" menu. Let me know if this works, because I've been considering a TC.
    Seems to me that as soon as you attached a TC, it should have asked you to imput focal length.
  • 03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
    PeteE
    I read some where. I believe B&H that the 1.4 reads and auto focuses but not the 2x Correct me if I am wrong. I have been thinking about a TC on my 100-300 sigma. Haven't determined if 1.4 or 2x
  • 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    I think you're getting a bit confused, Ron. I don't have a K200D, but with the recent price drops it is getting almost within "pull-the-trigger" range. And so I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

I suspect that the *ist D does not ask me to input focal length because the camera has no built-in "Shake-Reduction" system. :(
  • 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteE
    I read some where. I believe B&H that the 1.4 reads and auto focuses but not the 2x Correct me if I am wrong. I have been thinking about a TC on my 100-300 sigma. Haven't determined if 1.4 or 2xI read some where. I believe B&H that the 1.4 reads and auto focuses but not the 2x Correct me if I am wrong. I have been thinking about a TC on my 100-300 sigma. Haven't determined if 1.4 or 2x

Thanks for the reply.

My TAMRON 2X TC + 100mm F2.8 lens auto-focuses reasonably well on the *ist D (screw-drive). I don't have any SDM lenses yet, but the TC does have the appropiate gold contacts. The 100mm lens is currently my only AF lens, and have noted that AF speed and accuracy is degraded with the TC. Still works, but often for no apparent reason the lens barrel racks all the way out and all the way back in again, never locking on. A trick I've found out is to have the camera set to MF, roughly focus manually, then throw the switch over to AF and hope it will work. AF-S seems to be a tad faster than AF-C.

Other than a bit slower AF and the focal length/max aperture info issues, I am quite happy with my TC. :)

Here is a review I posted recently. Also, you might want to check out this thread.

Two nearly un-cropped handheld shots I took with *ist D + 2x TC + SMC PENTAX-A* 300mm F4 MF-only lens. Click and scroll down to view select EXIF and equipment information.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...ngsparrow2.JPG

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...gsparrow_1.jpg