Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Red face Lens Choices,Banging My Head

I just found this forum.I posted at another site.But,I don't think there were many Pentax users there.I'm hoping to get some help here.Here's what I posted on another site:

I have a Pentax K10 & my trusty old Asahi Pentax K1000 [my baby!].For my K1000 I mainly use a lense that is marked SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm,1:4. Sometimes I switch to my 50mm , 1:1.4. The only lense that I have specifically for the digital [K10] is Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6, 18-55mm AL [kit].

I've had this camera for approx. 6 months.So,why do I only have one lense for the K10? Because every time I try to figure out what lense is good quality,I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. I have read every thing that I could find around the internet.But,I'm still not sure what to trust.

Can someone please help?I don't want to buy a piece of junk.I would like to stear clear of slower lenses,when possible.

Are there certain brands to avoid? Are all Pentax lenses decent?I have seen a lot of talk about Sigma.It seems like Sigma & Pentax may be the better choices for my camera.
    I would like to find a lense for the K10 that would work as good as the 70-210mm does on my K1000.Any suggestions?

I am also considering some trips to the mountains to possibly do some shots of wildlife.I have a dear friend who keeps begging me to come.I would like to find a decent lense for shooting wildlife.I know that I can switch my old lenses from my K1000 to the K10.But,the 70-210mm is my biggest lense.I think I would need at least the range of 300-400mm for wildlife.Plus,I really would like to keep my old 70-210mm on my K1000.So,as far as a lense for wildlife,would it be best to look at only Pentax or Sigma?Or are there another brands that are good? Any suggestions on a lense or lense & converter combo?

I also do a lot of people shots.Mainly,pictures of children being theirselves.Sometimes,group shots.So,I guess I could use some suggestions on that.

Again,I know that I can use the older lenses.I'm always on the look out for old lenses for my K1000.But,I am interested in find a few new ones just for use on my K10.I had a hard time convincing myself to even start shooting digital.Now,I'm so frustrated trying to find decent lenses.
    ....... I know budget can make a difference on reccomendations.I am hoping to get more than one lense,so I can't spend a couple of thousand on one lense.Of course,I would like to spend as little as possible.Just don't want to waste money on junk.
    Cathy

Re: Lens Choices,Banging My Head

I think if I were you I would be looking at this one.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._5_6_3_ED.html

I just looked over some lenses at Adorama and B&H and this one seems like a good deal. At 3.5 it's ok fast, maybe not good for sports but I think it would be fine for some N&W. You might think bigger 500mm if you really get serious but I didn't see any listed on either site. Yes picking a lens is tough since your are only going by reviews and unlike a car you can't really test drive it. But Sigma makes a jam up lens and I wouldn't hesitate to go with one of theirs. Good luck and maybe some more might give their thoughts. You might look through the N&W forums and see what those guys are shooting and pick their heads some. Good luck.
    I also saw a Tamron lens very similar to the linked one and it was price was slightly cheaper. They too make good glass.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi CatherIN...I have a similar problem in that my knowledge is very limited, but one thing I have learned is that it is best to go down to a camera shop and try out the lenses you are interested in, because no matter how popular the lens, all lenses have good ones and bad ones. The best thing is to always purchase from a reputable dealer, especially when purchasing sight unseen. You sound like you have done all the research. If you can afford Pentax glass, as I understand, it is the best way to go almost everytime. However, many photogs have had great results from the Sigma, Tamron and other lenses, but for every good story out there, there are just as many bad stories, and that's where a reputable dealer comes in handy in that many will exchange them on the spot.
    Good luck, and glad to have you onboard. I am currently in transit from Texas to Wisconsin, so I may not be around much, but I look forward to hearing what you decide on.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Cat
    Welcome to the forum... What you will find here is a buch of great folks.....I hope you will stay and share your images with us...

Quote Originally Posted by catherIN
    I just found this forum.I posted at another site.But,I don't think there were many Pentax users there.I'm hoping to get some help here.Here's what I posted on another site:
    OK, Shoot... Hey I made a pun

I have a Pentax K10 & my trusty old Asahi Pentax K1000 [my baby!].For my K1000 I mainly use a lense that is marked SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm,1:4. Sometimes I switch to my 50mm , 1:1.4. The only lense that I have specifically for the digital [K10] is Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6, 18-55mm AL [kit].
    Both of those lenses you mentioned that you use for your K1OOO will work fine in your K10D, but in manual mode only. Remeber to multiply the focal length by 1.5..Example your 50mm on the K10D will be 75mm..

I've had this camera for approx. 6 months.So,why do I only have one lense for the K10? Because every time I try to figure out what lense is good quality,I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. I have read every thing that I could find around the internet.But,I'm still not sure what to trust.
    LOL, sorry I don't mean to laugh. My wife is the same way with her Nikon...''YUK''

Can someone please help?I don't want to buy a piece of junk.I would like to stear clear of slower lenses,when possible.
    I am no expert, but have some 30 lenses or so....

Are there certain brands to avoid? Are all Pentax lenses decent?I have seen a lot of talk about Sigma.It seems like Sigma & Pentax may be the better choices for my camera.
    I would like to find a lense for the K10 that would work as good as the 70-210mm does on my K1000.Any suggestions?
    OK, Not all Pentax, Tamron, or Sigma lenses are good nor are all bad..Its like that with all DSLR's of every make..... Now, If your looking for a lens in the 70-210 range, then I would suggest the Sigma APO version...It is F/4.0-5-6 but is trully a quick focusing lens...If your looking for fast then look at the Pentax DA*50-135 F/2.8 or the Sigma or Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 with HSM motors...Take a look here...Testing one of my engines :)
    I shot these with the DA*50-135 so if it can capture and freeze a race car at full song, it will not be a problem for most things and it is great in low light and High ISO's

I am also considering some trips to the mountains to possibly do some shots of wildlife.I have a dear friend who keeps begging me to come.I would like to find a decent lense for shooting wildlife.I know that I can switch my old lenses from my K1000 to the K10.But,the 70-210mm is my biggest lense.I think I would need at least the range of 300-400mm for wildlife.Plus,I really would like to keep my old 70-210mm on my K1000.So,as far as a lense for wildlife,would it be best to look at only Pentax or Sigma?Or are there another brands that are good? Any suggestions on a lense or lense & converter combo?
    No problem...Take a look at the Sigma 135-400APO...It is sharp on both ends...It is also pretty quick. Do not pay attention to the specs...This lens rocks on....Also the Sigma 70-300 APO works very well with virtually no loss of detail with the Tamron 1.4TC giving you 420mm OF REACH... Then there is the Sigma Bigma ...50-500mm APO...While this lens is sharp, it is to heavy and too slow for birding....I say this because this lens is not practical.

I also do a lot of people shots.Mainly,pictures of children being theirselves.Sometimes,group shots.So,I guess I could use some suggestions on that.
    Every pentaxian in the world needs to have the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 in his/her bag....This is my most used lens...It is very beloved in the pentax world and you simply need to have one....
    Again,I know that I can use the older lenses.I'm always on the look out for old lenses for my K1000.But,I am interested in find a few new ones just for use on my K10.I had a hard time convincing myself to even start shooting digital.Now,I'm so frustrated trying to find decent lenses.
    ....... I know budget can make a difference on reccomendations.I am hoping to get more than one lense,so I can't spend a couple of thousand on one lense.Of course,I would like to spend as little as possible.Just don't want to waste money on junk.
    Cathy
    Cathy, In the recommendations that I gave you, they will not be a waste of money...They rock on...
    Blessings in your shootings and if there is anything else I can help you with, just yell...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Cat
    Welcome to the forum... What you will find here is a buch of great folks.....I hope you will stay and share your images with us......
    Thank you.

LOL, sorry I don't mean to laugh. My wife is the same way with her Nikon...''YUK'' ...
    Happy to entertain you. LOL!

OK, Not all Pentax, Tamron, or Sigma lenses are good nor are all bad..Its like that with all DSLR's of every make.....
    Thank you for that advice.With everything I have been reading,it had started to look that way.That makes it even harder.I couldn't even narrow down the field,so to speak,by brand due to that.

No problem...Take a look at the Sigma 135-400APO...It is sharp on both ends...It is also pretty quick. Do not pay attention to the specs...This lens rocks on....Also the Sigma 70-300 APO works very well with virtually no loss of detail with the Tamron 1.4TC giving you 420mm OF REACH... Then there is the Sigma Bigma ...50-500mm APO...While this lens is sharp, it is to heavy and too slow for birding....I say this because this lens is not practical.
    I think I made a mistake.Totally frustrated,I went ahead & ordered a lens. Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro. Notice something? It's not the APO. Didn't realize it until the lens arrived yesterday.Double checked my order.It's my mistake,I got what I ordered.
    Do you think there is going to be big difference in the APO & the one I just got?
    I haven't had a chance to try this lens out.I'm hoping it's decent.It's been frustrating just getting to the point of getting this.I don't want to add to the frustration by finding I made a mistake in my choice.

I need to go look for that teleconverter now.

Every pentaxian in the world needs to have the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 in his/her bag....This is my most used lens...It is very beloved in the pentax world and you simply need to have one....
    I will look into that lens.

Thank you for the advice.
    Cathy

Thread Information