Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

New camera on the way

Hello, I will soon have in my possession my first DSLR a K100d super. This is the default kit with the 18-55 lens. So I will be on this board a lot and asking many rookie questions.
    Question number one, what should my next purchase be: filters, lenses, cheat sheets, experience? Like many on this forum I have to budget and save for each item so I would like to have some opinions on what would work best for a beginner. I already have a tripod, monopod, camera bag and editing software.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: New camera on the way

Hi ozbuc and a hearty welcome to arguably, the best forum on PR and the net!!!! Of course, I a bit prejudiced, but I do believe it. Congrats on the purchase and we are here to help any way we can.
    My first purchase was a zoom lens. I bought the Pentax DA 50-200mm ED. This has been my main lens, since I do a lot of photographing of my grandkids, nature, wildlife, etc. Although, not the best lens, it gives me great flexibility at a fair value. I am considering purchasing a 1.4 teleconverter so I can have a little extra range. I like being outdoors, but when moving indoors, I switch to the 18-55 kit lens and have had wonderful results with both lenses.
    Of course, there is nothing better than experience and the nice thing is, for the most part, it's free. Almost everything I have learned in my 5 years or so of photography has come from my few years here on PR.
    So all that said, The experience comes with time. Start practicing with what you have and begin saving for a nice zoom lens or macro lens, depending on what type of photography you prefer. Many of us here are considering a 1.4 TC. Review some of jgredline's recent posts on TC's on this forum. It will be good experience for you and will give you some idea of how TC's work.
    Good luck and I look forward to following your progress.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thanks for the welcome and Ideas Ken, I am sure I will spend a lot of time here.

Re: New camera

Speaking of the 50-200 lens, Circuit City has that lens for $159
    free basic shipping.
    I just got mine today!
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...oid=148960&c=1

Re: New camera

Quote Originally Posted by hollis
    Speaking of the 50-200 lens, Circuit City has that lens for $159
    free basic shipping.
    I just got mine today!
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...oid=148960&c=1
    Wow, great price! They must be making room for the new zoom that comes out in a few weeks.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

circular polarizer if you're doing any landscapes.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.The camera came today and now I start up that giant learning curve. What a fun and interesting climb it will be.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Welcome, Always good to see another Pentaxian.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Welcome to the forum. I have the 50-200 as my basic lens. I have a UV filter on the front of the lens. It helps protect the lens. It is cheaper than buying a new lens. Not that your going to scratch you lens. I don't know what more experienced photographers think about that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I have purchased the 50-200 from circuit city and now its time to think about filters. I intend on purchasing the previously mentioned circular polarizer, uv and maybe a few others but what about price versus quality? I can walk down to my local best buy and get the inexpensive sunpak or should I spend more and as a novice will I notice the difference. Thanks in advance for all and any help.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Buy yourself a B+W UV HAZE #10...it is a coated filter that will really help. All the cheap filters like the sunpack will do nothing for you except maybe offer some protection. I learned this the expensive way.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thread Information