Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: K-01, Anyone?

K-01, Anyone?

So I have been shopping around for another compact as I sold off what I had to fund the a99. The a77 is fairly small and light for a carry all. I do have that still. But I came across the K-01 and was fairly surprised at the DXO marks and it is actually the same if not a little better than the a77, NEX 7 and OMD-E-M5. Plus it's less than half the cost of other mirrorless compacts. $350.00 for body and $416.00 with a 40mm lens. Plus any Pentax lens will work on it. It is also got IBIS and focus peaking. Nice.
    If anybody is using one I certainly want to hear what you think. I read complaints it's so thick but no sure that would be a deal breaker. John I know you used one. What do you think?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: K-01, Anyone?

What I don't like about it is that there's no provision for an electronic viewfinder. If shooting using nothing but the rear LCD as a finder works for someone, then it's probably a steal now (or soon will be) at discounted prices.

I do at times shoot mirrorless compacts using the rear LCD but in every case I've had a built-in or optional external finder to go with the camera for when its needed.

Cool idea / design or not, it doesn't seem to be accepted that well. Myself... I'd prefer a very electronic finder (built in) version if they are going to produce a compact that retains compatibility with DSLR/SLR Pentax lenses and therefore the much deeper back focal length and resulting body thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by adanac View Post
    What I don't like about it is that there's no provision for an electronic viewfinder. If shooting using nothing but the rear LCD as a finder works for someone, then it's probably a steal now (or soon will be) at discounted prices.

I do at times shoot mirrorless compacts using the rear LCD but in every case I've had a built-in or optional external finder to go with the camera for when its needed.

Cool idea / design or not, it doesn't seem to be accepted that well. Myself... I'd prefer a very electronic finder (built in) version if they are going to produce a compact that retains compatibility with DSLR/SLR Pentax lenses and therefore the much deeper back focal length and resulting body thickness.
    I agree. You probably could find an optical mount for the shoe but at that you would have to use a prime. I keep thinking I need a street camera but my a77 isn't much bigger than my Leica if I use a prime on it. Plus it has tons of features.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like some things about the K-01 like the lens compatibility and IQ but the lack of a viewfinder is a definite minus. They are going pretty cheaply now but originally they seemed way overpriced. I hear they are being discontinued too. If they could have introduced them under $400 I think it could have been much more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    John I know you used one. What do you think?
    I have not used the K-01, Greg. I have used the K-30 DSLR, though. I'm not sure if they use the same sensor but the K-30 sensor is excellent - way better than any other APS-C sensor I've used. I still haven't had a chance to use one of the 24-megapixel Sony APS-C sensor cameras, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks John it doesn't have a finder. I may have to think that over. I should put everything on hold until spring I think Olympus and Sony should have some nice surprises by then. The NEX 9 and E-M7 should be out. I could hardly imagine how they could improve but they never disappoint.

Sony a99/a7R

I provided mine for review. I got it for $325 with a pancake 40mm after a buddy found it on Amazon. It used to have a autofocus issue, but that was fixed with a firmware update. We also made a skin for it at xoskins.com I would love to add more designs on there for any cameras folks have, just need to get a scan of their lcds, since we mostly have canon and nikon stuff. The only 2 issue I have found is 1 - the viewfinder in non existent. 2 - the Autofocus is noisy. Only really an issue for video. I prefer to manual focus anyway since learning on a t3i.

Tempting! I have a bunch of K mount lenses too. But no cash for something like this right now. Might make a great backup/extra/keep in the pack camera.
    I have the Limited version of that pancake, the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited. Love that little lens!

I'm really enjoying it. FA 77ltd seems glued on atm though DA21ltd is a perfect fit. Haven't gone to RAW yet as the jpgs are so good. Weaker low pass filter than K-5 in evidence, shots are sharp as. I might suss out a hotshoe optical finder as I still find myself wanting to put it up to eye. The AF works very well, though I'm using MF a lot as focus peaking and magnifying works so well. Great to watch the field of focus traverse a scene.
    K-5 some len

Thread Information