• 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
    w.slayman
    HELP on Pentax 645 SLR (Not Digital)
    I am considering getting a Pentax 645 SLR (Medium Format 120 Film) with 70mm F2.8 SMC. The primary purpose (excuse for the wife's consumption) will be to take superior photographs our first grandchild, Maria Eduarda due in January. I have not been able to find a review of this camera on PR and was wondering if anyone on site has used it, if so can you give a brief review of strengths and weaknesses, along with a recommendation on the best general purpose lens, for this camera.

Thanks,
  • 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: HELP on Pentax 645 SLR (Not Digital)
    This is an excellent camera. The only real complaint was that it didn't have removable backs. I doubt that would be an issue for you. Although I eventually went for the even larger Pentax 67, the Pentax 645 was my other choice. I just wanted a transparency bigger than 6 x 4.5.

If you like 120 film, you'll like this camera.
  • 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
    w.slayman
    Thanks Michael,

While it is true about getting better portraits of Maria Eduarda, my real primary purpose is to have better resoltion and less grain on large enlargements and a negative / transparency bigger than 36 X 24 mm, for portraits, landscapes etc. I am assuming that the 75mm SMC F2.8 is the standard lens, and that is the lens I am looking at.

Being totaly ignorant about Pentax Specific Flahes especially for the 645 what would you recommend for a fill / bounce unit.

Again Thanks
  • 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM
    drg
    Yep, the 75mm is the standard Manual Focus lens. Far more reasonable than the prices on some of the AF units - less than $300 for an almost perfect version of the 75mm f/2.8 SMC looks about right. I was a little concerned when I read the first part of your post as there is now a 70mm lens but it is for the Digital cameras only.

That camera has the inserts for the film and are not always included with the price of a used unit. Be sure to get the 120 version you want! Not always easy to find separately.

Pentax makes and sells a couple of possible flash units worth considering for 'their' shoe mount and they are the AF-360 FGZ and the AF-540 FGZ P-TTL (Pentax TTL) models. Two different power ratings for these. The other alternative is just an external sync flash like a Metz (the potato mashers).

You might get additional hints from users in the Film Fourum too.

Happy Holidays and of course we want to see photos!!
  • 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
    w.slayman
    Thanks guys,

I think I will start a seroious search for a Pentax 645 w/75mm SMC F2.8. I have a Canon Speedlite 533G that I may be able to use at least in manual mode. Hopefully I will have it for a Christmas Present to myself.

Again, Thanks for the Info.